2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got quoted $725 from a (very reputable) local shop to install new shocks/springs/RSB on my '17. That seems excessive to me. He estimated 2 hours for the front and 3 for the rear, but did say the price would come down if it took less time. Oh and that price does include an alignment.

Is that too much? I figured I'd have someone else do it....I've done plenty of installs on previous cars (been a while though) to know that what should be a 3-hour job will actually take 6 hours for me. But it may be worth it to do myself.

I imagine it'll be easier to do on mine since I'm not even at 1,000 miles yet. No corroded bolts or anything to deal with. Right?

·
Registered
63 Posts
My mechanic charged me $220 to install my Koni FSD shocks and RacingBeat springs just yesterday. But it did not include alignment, and I didn't have new sway bars to install. Just for your reference, but it does seem a bit high.

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
Just got quoted $725 from a (very reputable) local shop to install new shocks/springs/RSB on my '17. That seems excessive to me. He estimated 2 hours for the front and 3 for the rear, but did say the price would come down if it took less time. Oh and that price does include an alignment.

Is that too much? I figured I'd have someone else do it....I've done plenty of installs on previous cars (been a while though) to know that what should be a 3-hour job will actually take 6 hours for me. But it may be worth it to do myself.

I imagine it'll be easier to do on mine since I'm not even at 1,000 miles yet. No corroded bolts or anything to deal with. Right?
Highway robbery. A good shop that knows how to do this should have the rear shocks and springs done in an hour, its not complicated at all and very easy. Rear sway bar, since everything is already apart anyhow, maybe another half hour as its only a few ( 8 ) more small bolts to remove. Front shocks and springs can be swapped in minutes, literally. Its a complete assembly, a few bolts and it comes right out. Assembly of the new spring/shock unit takes about 10 minutes. Assuming you are lowering the car, a spring compressor is most likely unneeded as the free length of the spring may be short enough so that you can get the nut on the end. Depends on what you are installing though.
If you have a shop do it, insist that they torque everything to proper spec. If its not done you will be chasing clanks and clunks forever. End links and upper mount bolts are notorious for this.
Make sure they grease the upper mount bearings in the front too, as this is always a source of thumping that is rarely tracked down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I THOUGHT it seemed high. Good to know. I will probably go check a couple other shops for additional quotes. If I don't get anything under $300 I'll just suck it up and do it all myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and my plans are Koni FSD with Eibach Pro-Kit. Along with the CS sway bar and I'll get those eBay adjustable endlinks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@arathol is it necessary to replace the front and rear sway bar end links when lowering the car? or only the rears when also getting a new RSB?

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
@arathol is it necessary to replace the front and rear sway bar end links when lowering the car? or only the rears when also getting a new RSB?
Ideally, yes. You want to keep the position of the sway bar relative to the rest of the chassis the same or it may not work properly.

I had a small issue with this when I lowered my car. After lowering (H&R), the sway bar was angled upwards enough to allow the end to actually tap on the underside of the car on larger bumps. Realigning the sway bar properly with shorter links fixed this.

And yes, you should do all 4.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ideally, yes. You want to keep the position of the sway bar relative to the rest of the chassis the same or it may not work properly.

I had a small issue with this when I lowered my car. After lowering (H&R), the sway bar was angled upwards enough to allow the end to actually tap on the underside of the car on larger bumps. Realigning the sway bar properly with shorter links fixed this.

And yes, you should do all 4.
You're a boss, thank you so much! Hopefully purchasing everything in the next couple weeks :grin2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts