2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 151 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
I am having the clunk issue with my UK spec 18 Mazda 3 with only 500 miles on the clock. I wonder if the facelift cars have the spring protectors from factory and if not I might need to phone the dealer and ask them to install them for me as it is really annoying considering the fact that I have owned the car for 2 and half weeks.

· Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
I am having the clunk issue with my UK spec 18 Mazda 3 with only 500 miles on the clock. I wonder if the facelift cars have the spring protectors from factory and if not I might need to phone the dealer and ask them to install them for me as it is really annoying considering the fact that I have owned the car for 2 and half weeks.
Try looking up your front springs. If you have em, you'll see em.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

· Registered
9 Posts
True looking up your front springs. If you have em, you'll see em.

Just had a quick look and there are no spring protectors which is a bit a bummer as this seems to be quite a common issue which could have been resolved with the 2016 facelift. Will phone the dealer and point them to the TSB. Hopefully, they will get it sorted.

· Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Just had a quick look and there are no spring protectors which is a bit a bummer as this seems to be quite a common issue which could have been resolved with the 2016 facelift. Will phone the dealer and point them to the TSB. Hopefully, they will get it sorted.
Some JP-built 2016 BM came w/ white protectors from the factory.

· Registered
9 Posts
Just came from the dealer - I went for a drive with a technician but the car behaved flawlessly as I don't really know the roads near my dearlership that well and it was also rush hour so I was not very eager to drive into the city where I am more familiar with the roads. He said that he is familiar with the clunking sound and he knew about the spring protectors. I guess I will drive it like that for while. I also spotted a little paint issue which the dealer was eager to tackle immediately, for my surprise.

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm gonna pick up my new 2018 Mazda 3 HB today and I can see I'm already gonna have problems with the front suspension clunk noise.
The VIN is 3MZBN******* which means Mexico built :( Just don't know what vehicle type it is (A,B or C). How do I determine the vehicle type?

This is an old problem since the first version of the Mazda 3. I had a Mazda 3 2005 and it had the same suspension noise. Can't believe Mazda didn't fix this problem 13 years later!!

Cheers,

· Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I'm gonna pick up my new 2018 Mazda 3 HB today and I can see I'm already gonna have problems with the front suspension clunk noise.
The VIN is 3MZBN******* which means Mexico built :( Just don't know what vehicle type it is (A,B or C). How do I determine the vehicle type?

This is an old problem since the first version of the Mazda 3. I had a Mazda 3 2005 and it had the same suspension noise. Can't believe Mazda didn't fix this problem 13 years later!!

Cheers,
Let your dealership diagnose it. The clunk issues are more isolated than common....except here where we are addressing them. Mine has behaved & taken the 5th since the protectors were put on.:)

· Ian'sDGM3
26 Posts
Hi guys.. I have a "light" popping noise that come from the top of both my front springs.. easy to diagnose. Put your hand on the top of spring while having someone jack up the car, you'll feel and hear it. some times its just one pop.. other times it can be pop... pop...pop. I have a early Japan built 2014 Mazda 3 GT and it doesn't have any spring "sleeves/protectors. I'm thinking that's all that is as it needs something cushy to sit on. It happens mostly in left turns, and the noise actually comes from the right spring as its being lifted upwards.. occasionally it will do it on right turns as well ( not as common ) . I also defeated the passenger side 'tick tick tick" noise near the pillar with PB blast.. no need to take cowl and all that apart, just the small plastic cover very right (passenger side ), squirt some PB blast where the two metal pieces come together and it goes away. I saw that someone on here bent the crap out of it and the ridiculous TSB about hammering .. doesn't work.

Link to Video of spring popping..
https://app.box.com/s/zsy3pkb51icgbfa23ge637mqw3slh09f

· Registered
1 Posts
Here you go guys. Please see attachment. My car is ready to be picked up. Hopefully all is fixed now.
Interesting,

My 2014 CX-5 doesn't match the VINs listed in the TSB but it is 100% having this exact same problem. It doesn't have isolators on it either. Guess i'll just install the isolators, repack the grease and hope it all works!

· Registered
9 Posts
Right, I have an update on my clunk issue. I manage to prove the issue to the dealer last week and I picked up the car yesterday with the spring isolators installed. So far it is much better than before. I wouldn't say that the clunk is 100% gone but it is far less pronounced which is fine by me at this point.

· Super Moderator
869 Posts
My car only does it on the right side now. Left side seems to be fixed. Taking the car in again on the 24th.

· Registered
9 Posts
My car only does it on the right side now. Left side seems to be fixed. Taking the car in again on the 24th.
Unfortunately my car still does it as well and as you it does it only on the right side. Actually I never had an issue with the left side. It was always the right one. I would say that the spring protectors might have made it 10% better after driving it for a little bit. Have you had the bushes replaced as well when you had the protectors installed?

· Super Moderator
869 Posts
I took my car back to the dealership today for two things.

1. Clunk still present on right side.

2. Trunk light housing loose. Wanted to change the bulb to LED and noticed that the housing won't stay in.

They gave me the same courtesy car as last time; a 2018 Mazda 3 Grand Touring sedan. When I returned last time I had it, I told them that their loaner has the same issue. I drove it today again and the issue is still present. They haven't fixed nor addressed it.

It seems that this issue is going on with many new Mazda 3s, sedans or hatchbacks. I contacted Mazda USA HQ. Awaiting a response now and will notify them of the forum reports as well.

· Registered
331 Posts
I dont know if it's the same clunk everyone is talking about but mine only happens once in a while and only when the car is still cold, within the first mile. I hear it over a bump once and then nothing on the next and the rest of the trip. I heard this noise from my other cars in the past exactly the same way and i always thought it was from the brake pads when they were not warmed up.

· Super Moderator
869 Posts
Update:

My car only does it in a dip in the road at my house. It clunks every morning when I go to work at 5 am. I have a good dealer. The tech and the service manager were willing to drive to my house and drive the car over the dip here to try and replicate it, because they couldn't get it to do it at the dealership. Well, we get here and drive over the dip 10 times, without any luck. It won't clunk! I don't know if it had anything to do with an extra person in the car. The guys honestly wanted to hear the noise and I feel bad that I couldn't get it to replicate for them. I showed this thread to the tech and he said he checked the bearing and everything is good. Since it only does it in my neighborhood, I'll drive slower over the dip and if it gets worse later, I'll go back in.

@amati5 It's not your morning brake noise. There is a TSB for it, and they've replaced the parts. Before I had the noise on two sides, now only on the right.

· Registered
10 Posts
Had the same clunk noise when rolling over speed bumps for a while, took it to the dealership 3 times, they replaced the lower control arms bushings, tightened the wiper motor frame, even tightened the firewall bolts as they told me. The clunk noise was still present.
So i decided to fix it myself as i could, lifted the car, checked for any worn bushings, loose parts, found nothing at first. I grabbed the front springs and heard the same clunking noise. After research i found this tread and decided to give it a try, i removed the front struts, dissasembled the whole thing and put some electrical tape where the spring sit on the upper mount since i didnt had the protector, now the noise is gone..... i will fix it in the future with the proper protector but it took me about 1 and a half hour to find and fix it.....

· Registered
12 Posts
hello folks, had the same issue, front right passenger side when driving over a sunken man hole cover, can reproduce it everytime......did my research and found someone probably here that made sense.and pursued a remedy, i took the strut bearing apart and there was grease inside, what i couldn't believe was that these tiny little ball bearings were actually holding up the car, i mean, last time i did struts like this with strut bearings was on a 90 something mercury sable wagon, now that car had regular size ball bearings...anyway, when i reassembled the mazda bearings i noticed excessive side to side movement compared to the drivers side strut bearings...i bought 2 strut bearings, cheap, maybe 25 bucks each from an online dealer and swapped everything out...was probably done in 35 minutes, both sides, wala, noise gone.

· Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
hello folks, had the same issue, front right passenger side when driving over a sunken man hole cover, can reproduce it everytime......did my research and found someone probably here that made sense.and pursued a remedy, i took the strut bearing apart and there was grease inside, what i couldn't believe was that these tiny little ball bearings were actually holding up the car, i mean, last time i did struts like this with strut bearings was on a 90 something mercury sable wagon, now that car had regular size ball bearings...anyway, when i reassembled the mazda bearings i noticed excessive side to side movement compared to the drivers side strut bearings...i bought 2 strut bearings, cheap, maybe 25 bucks each from an online dealer and swapped everything out...was probably done in 35 minutes, both sides, wala, noise gone.
Perhaps you can share a detailed DIY with corresponding strut bearing size & brand?

· Registered
12 Posts
detailed instructions requested

Are you sure you want my details?? ok then, here you go:

because i bought this car used, w/ about 40k on the clock, this clunking i was hearing, i didnt really know if it was just the strut bearings as one here on the forum suggested, although it made plenty of sense..

my remedy was tor order the appropriate strut bearings from tasko parts, which if i recall was an actual mazda dealer seling parts online, now i did this some time ago, so i dont have part numbers, what i do remember was that you must know where your car was made because the exploded views of the suspensions were indicating different part numbers for japan and mexico made mazda 3 vehicles.

in addition 2 the strut bearings for both sides, same part number, i bought new front OEM Springs, and another part that mazda referred to a spring isolator, a simple piece of rubber formed to attach to the bottom of the spring where the spring makes contact to the perch of the strut, they were real cheap, like 2bucks and change each, i bought about 6, i figured i use them anywhere i wanted...lastly, because i didnt want to risk this work to not be succesful due to a possible bad strut, i bought 2 new Bilstein oem grade replacement struts, left and right...after receiving all the parts, i disassembled the front suspension, removed and reused some of the existing parts reinstalled and when for a ride to hit a manhole cover, problem solved....but i created a new problem, the front and rear suspension felt out of tune, mainly because the bilsteins had a 10% stiffer ride, so i had to buy the mating bilsteins for the rear and did the shock swap, now the vehicle ride wonderfully!

121 - 140 of 151 Posts