2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Suspension clunk finally fixed. Mods, please edit the title. Thanks.

Like a few who've been bothered by low speed clunk over humps, mine had it since new. Tightening done on 1st inspection, no change. I spoke directly w/ the head tech(EX BMW/MINI Tech) over at our local dealership & he has made it his personal mission to hunt this down & HE DID!!!!!! A huge thanks to Mazda Tech Arnel!
It's not bumpstops as others have doubted nor worn endlinks, but DRY STRUT MOUNT BEARINGS!

Here's what they did:
Removed both front struts. Bumpstops are supposed to move freely:

Removed strut mounts & split open the bearing casing:

Generously greased the besrings:

Buttoned everything up. Tested, drove..........
Clunk finally gone!:thumbup 1::thumbup 1:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Now that you mentioned this i do get a clunking noise every once in a while when pulling out of my driveway. Good thing is i can check this myself.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The strut bearing housing is 2pc & can easily be opened by a flat head screw driver. The small ball bearings weren't lubed generously. After this procedure, Clunk confirmed gone. This procedure took about less than 2 hours w/ a lift.
Prior to this discovery, the tech dismantled the entire suspension of the M3 test car to hunt down the clunk it had, so mine wasn't an experiment. Hope this helps all other dealerships. I'd recommend this done together w/ maintenance service.

Now, for the proper cowl click fix, look at post170:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-recalls-tsb-ssb/43521-tsb-ticking-noise-passenger-dash-17.html#post1018026

Whoever authored that flathead screw driver/hammer TSB obviously misplaced his common sense. Bolted on metal sheets will always create noise. This happens in links, ball joints & everywhere else in the car. We all know how lube works.:)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hmm I haven't been following the clunking issue. I do notice sometimes there's this metal compressing sound coming from the front suspension, not sure if it's the same thing. Mine sounds like you know that sound old rusted doors make when you open them slowly? Mine sounds like that. I notice it sometimes when I'm on an incline and accelerate and slowly accelerate or sometimes when backing out of my slightly inclined driveway. Is this the noise you guys are talking about?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I have no idea why these weren't greased to begin with.
They did have a very thin coat of grease that the small ball bearings were clearly exposed. We covered it generously w/ a thick enough coat to cover those said ball bearings.

Low, the rattle or clunk I had was a metal to metal thud upon hitting or coming off speed bumps on low speed. It was randomly consistent, forgive the oxymoron. I'd get it while turning & hitting a rough patch, too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hmm I haven't been following the clunking issue. I do notice sometimes there's this metal compressing sound coming from the front suspension, not sure if it's the same thing. Mine sounds like you know that sound old rusted doors make when you open them slowly? Mine sounds like that. I notice it sometimes when I'm on an incline and accelerate and slowly accelerate or sometimes when backing out of my slightly inclined driveway. Is this the noise you guys are talking about?
I don't think that is the noise.

If OP is talking about the same noise I have.... then....

The noise happens almost every time I take a left turn into a Somewhat Steep Driveway, where the front left Shock gets totally compressed...

Every time the front left shock gets compressed like that I hear a "Clunk" or "Click" and I can feel it in the suspension as if my car can't go any lower.... the Clunk lines up with that feeling....

Glad to have seen this.... Hoping I see a TSB about it soon.... I definitely need to get it fixed, I have my damn inspection due next month....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Suspension clunk finally fixed. Mods, please edit the title. Thanks.

Like a few who've been bothered by low speed clunk over humps, mine had it since new. Tightening done on 1st inspection, no change. I spoke directly w/ the head tech(EX BMW/MINI Tech) over at our local dealership & he has made it his personal mission to hunt this down & HE DID!!!!!! A huge thanks to Mazda Tech Arnel!
It's not bumpstops as others have doubted nor worn endlinks, but DRY STRUT MOUNT BEARINGS!

Here's what they did:
Removed both front struts. Bumpstops are supposed to move freely:

Buttoned everything up. Tested, drove..........
Clunk finally gone!:thumbup 1::thumbup 1:
So does anyone know how dangerous this is for the car, or how much damage it can cause? does it hurt the life of the suspension or something??

Cause this definitely happens in my car a lot when I turn left in to driveway's or the suspension gets compressed all the way....

This is really bad for the car right?? and I should get it repaired ASAP??

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
maybe this was the noise that I had when I installed the eibach springs. All four corners made a sound and I attributed it to the springs/install and it was neither after inspection. I had all four springs replaced and the sound went away, but only happens on my driveway now. I just made the connection that this could have been the reason. I had the springs swapped out during early July, so two months before this thread. I'll have to call Eibach and see if they greased this part.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So does anyone know how dangerous this is for the car, or how much damage it can cause? does it hurt the life of the suspension or something??

Cause this definitely happens in my car a lot when I turn left in to driveway's or the suspension gets compressed all the way....

This is really bad for the car right?? and I should get it repaired ASAP??
Bearings that aren't greased will definitely wear out faster. Having been used to working on the MINI, this fix isn't difficult at all.... you just need a spring compressor aside from regular tools.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If I have my dealership do this, what is the potential for things going wrong?

For example, what is the likelihood the car will be out of alignment when they are done, or they'll mess up a ball joint, or something like that? If it's not hurting much to leave it as-is I might just live with it.

Of course, this assumes I *could* get them to do this -- half the time they won't even follow TSB after you hand them a solution to your problem, on a silver platter.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I have my dealership do this, what is the potential for things going wrong?

For example, what is the likelihood the car will be out of alignment when they are done, or they'll mess up a ball joint, or something like that? If it's not hurting much to leave it as-is I might just live with it.
Of course, this assumes I *could* get them to do this -- half the time they won't even follow TSB after you hand them a solution to your problem, on a silver platter.
Technichally, removing/reinstalling just the struts & mounts won't affect alignment as nothing will be readjusted. Dealership did that for me, no reason they won't do yours.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Experimented w/ a shortcut maintenance greasing method while at the dealership today hunting down a lean P0171 code(fixed:pCV hose O-ring leak).
I'd been contemplating installing zerks as grease ports on these strut mounts but had to try pumping grease into these 2 rectangular holes here:
Our patient master surgeon tech used a small grease gun which pumped a generous amount into both mounts.
No strut dismantling.....5minute outpatient procedure!:)

Update: upon installing H&R springs for a buddy, we reinspected how grease flows thru those holes....they just go straight down to the strut & bumpstop. This shortcut is just that....short of purpose.:(
Spring insulator sleeves are a sensible add on when you're greasing & have springs off.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, realize our strutmounts are built more of plastic than softer durometer rubber (like in most other cars). It's 2pc, too, which you can separate & have access to the bearings.
The low speed bump sound most likely comes from the contact point between spring & strutmount.
Why won't every unit have this complaint, might you ask? Remember, not all springs are wound perfectly alike to exact tolerances. The slightest of variations can make a difference. Take the extra step to wrap the springs w/ thin insulator sleeves of silicone or rubber where they get in contact w/ strutmounts, while you're greasing those bearings. Noticed some Eibach Pro Kit models have these, some on the rears. Some just wrap em in tape but that won't last.
Please share your feedback once done.

·
Registered
158 Posts
OP, I am also having the front suspension clunk over speedbumps, dips, etc. Usually happens when the suspension fully compresses. However, I don't think it happens every time. How did you convince the dealership this was an abnormal issue? Did you have to replicate the sound for them or did they just perform a road test to discover what the issue was? I ask b/c it's usually a hit or miss with dealerships when you are trying to replicate an issue that occurs sporadically.

Reactions: sgbrown

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Mazda has addressed this issue w/ coil spring insulator sleeves for those who have the low speed bump clunk. Just describe the noise, sounds like you've the exact symptoms. Your dealership should be able to identify if the coil to strutmount contact is causing this.
Have them grease the strutmount bearings while in there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mazda has addressed this issue w/ coil spring insulator sleeves for those who have the low speed bump clunk. Just describe the noise, sounds like you've the exact symptoms. Your dealership should be able to identify if the coil to strutmount contact is causing this.
Have them grease the strutmount bearings while in there.
Is there a specific TSB # for this service bulletin?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Not sure if there's an official TSB on this but Mazda has a universal part that works. Get a pair of this cheap insulator/coil protector & those noises will likely be silenced:
KDY534081 - Genuine Mazda
Make sure the area where the spring contacts the strutmount is thoroughly cleaned to ensure good adhesive bonding of this hose type spring sleeve.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not sure if there's an official TSB on this but Mazda has a universal part that works. Get a pair of this cheap insulator/coil protector & those noises will likely be silenced:
KDY534081 - Genuine Mazda
Make sure the area where the spring contacts the strutmount is thoroughly cleaned to ensure good adhesive bonding of this hose type spring sleeve.
I really appreciate the info! Are you Korean btw? I ask because my last name is Min. So Minsanity was my fantasy basketball team name. lol :laugh2:

1 - 20 of 149 Posts