2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’ve been going back and forth on lowering my 2016 I Touring for so long now, I’m on the verge of doing it. However, I have the Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs but know someone who is selling their Megan Coilovers for just a little more than what I paid for the springs. It also just so happens I have the 10 year / 120k mile warranty on my car. I don’t want to ruin that warranty if something bad were to happen within the 90k miles left I have on the warranty.

I understand the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act and how they can’t necessarily void my entire warranty, but can deny any warranty claims to repairs that are related to the aftermarket part. I spoke with a service provider who seemed to be “mod-friendly guy” based off other people on the Mazdaspeed forums. He basically told me they can’t void it, only corporate can. And when it comes to suspension, his first concern is can it go on the lift to the necessary repairs and maintenance.

He said they get a lot of people with modified cars come in but they mostly try to avoid those with major drivetrain and electrical modifications as they just don’t want to deal with any drama so to say. I understood that basically, if something happens and its related or caused by aftermarket suspension, then the repairs necessary would be on my own dime. He also said that dealerships and corporate can “tag” your car if it’s heavily modified so that no matter where you go you’ll have a title that you’re modified. Idk if that’s really true but he said that.

My main concern is just getting maintenance done timely and without drama about warranty. I want to be able to keep my warranty as long as possible as well as it covering me as much as it can, although if something wrong were to happen then I understand I’m on my own.

So my question is, if I’m going to lower my car, which is the safest route with a warranty in mind? Lowering springs (on stock struts with 30k miles) or coilovers? I was about to do springs but I know it wears down the struts and possibly other parts, so that seems like a bad choice since they can say warranty won’t cover it since putting springs with stock parts caused damage or something. Coilovers seem like a better choice since its almost a complete change of suspension in each corner, so the only damage coilovers will cause would only be on the coilovers itself (I think).

Tl;dr:
I have 10 year / 120k mile warranty, I want to lower my car either on springs or coilovers but don’t know which is better (or causes less damage to suspension) and less likely to put my warranty at risk.

Thank you!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,392 Posts
Hi,
I’ve been going back and forth on lowering my 2016 I Touring for so long now, I’m on the verge of doing it. However, I have the Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs but know someone who is selling their Megan Coilovers for just a little more than what I paid for the springs. It also just so happens I have the 10 year / 120k mile warranty on my car. I don’t want to ruin that warranty if something bad were to happen within the 90k miles left I have on the warranty.

I understand the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act and how they can’t necessarily void my entire warranty, but can deny any warranty claims to repairs that are related to the aftermarket part. I spoke with a service provider who seemed to be “mod-friendly guy” based off other people on the Mazdaspeed forums. He basically told me they can’t void it, only corporate can. And when it comes to suspension, his first concern is can it go on the lift to the necessary repairs and maintenance.

He said they get a lot of people with modified cars come in but they mostly try to avoid those with major drivetrain and electrical modifications as they just don’t want to deal with any drama so to say. I understood that basically, if something happens and its related or caused by aftermarket suspension, then the repairs necessary would be on my own dime. He also said that dealerships and corporate can “tag” your car if it’s heavily modified so that no matter where you go you’ll have a title that you’re modified. Idk if that’s really true but he said that.

My main concern is just getting maintenance done timely and without drama about warranty. I want to be able to keep my warranty as long as possible as well as it covering me as much as it can, although if something wrong were to happen then I understand I’m on my own.

So my question is, if I’m going to lower my car, which is the safest route with a warranty in mind? Lowering springs (on stock struts with 30k miles) or coilovers? I was about to do springs but I know it wears down the struts and possibly other parts, so that seems like a bad choice since they can say warranty won’t cover it since putting springs with stock parts caused damage or something. Coilovers seem like a better choice since its almost a complete change of suspension in each corner, so the only damage coilovers will cause would only be on the coilovers itself (I think).

Tl;dr:
I have 10 year / 120k mile warranty, I want to lower my car either on springs or coilovers but don’t know which is better (or causes less damage to suspension) and less likely to put my warranty at risk.

Thank you!!!
Stick with the Eibachs. Mazda supplies Eibachs as OEM optional equipment so its less likely your warranty will be affected if you are worried about that. They won't do any harm to your shocks or struts.
Megan coilovers are cheap Chinese made junk, the dampers don't last long and the springs have been known to sag a lot in short order. Thats probably why they are being sold for cheap. Used suspension parts are never a good idea as you don't know if they have been abused, broken or are not functioning properly.
I don't know where you got the idea that swapping springs will cause damage to your car, but as long as you use the proper parts and install them correctly you should not have any issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stick with the Eibachs. Mazda supplies Eibachs as OEM optional equipment so its less likely your warranty will be affected if you are worried about that. They won't do any harm to your shocks or struts.
Megan coilovers are cheap Chinese made junk, the dampers don't last long and the springs have been known to sag a lot in short order. Thats probably why they are being sold for cheap. Used suspension parts are never a good idea as you don't know if they have been abused, broken or are not functioning properly.
I don't know where you got the idea that swapping springs will cause damage to your car, but as long as you use the proper parts and install them correctly you should not have any issues.
Thank you for the reply. Are they really supplied by Mazda? I've never heard of Mazda supplying them before, does Eibach make the stock springs in our Mazdas or something? Or are they just more appreciated by Mazda being that they're a reliable company? I know the Megans aren't the best but the adjustability of ride height on a budget was enticing. I guess I won't get them especially since they're used. Are the Eibachs okay on stock struts with almost 30k miles on them already? If so I'll get it installed. I guess I was just being paranoid about the damage, but I just know it lessens the life of the struts and am afraid Mazda will make a big fuss about it if something were to happen to my suspension and I try to make a warranty claim. Thanks!

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
I know the Megans aren't the best but the adjustability of ride height on a budget was enticing.
And that's where they get so many people, sooooo many people. Ruins the ride quality completely too, drives like a sack of crap when using cheap coilovers.

"But dood I can lower or raise my car anytime I want"

Except once they seize up your screwed too, another very common problem with cheap craptastic coilovers. Its great on paper, and that's pretty much it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
And that's where they get so many people, sooooo many people. Ruins the ride quality completely too, drives like a sack of crap when using cheap coilovers.

"But dood I can lower or raise my car anytime I want"

Except once they seize up your screwed too, another very common problem with cheap craptastic coilovers. Its great on paper, and that's pretty much it.
This. Plus if you've ever owned coilovers you'll know they are not as "adjustable" as you think, it is still tough to change the height. Dirt will get into the threads, they'll get nicks - the whole idea of being adjustable is sort of misleading.

You would be better off buying a second set of OEM struts from a junkyard and putting the Eibachs in them if adjust-ability on a budget was your concern (i.e. winter) and just have a shop swap them out for you - if they are already loaded with the springs it doesn't take long to swap. <-- still wouldn't recommend that either but if you want to be able to change ride height that's probably the cheapest route without coilovers

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have the Euro lowering springs and i like them. they are way lower then what you would normally find in the US.
I can also say that my local Mazda dealer does sell Corksport Springs as an installed option now, so i think you should be just fine.
I don't think you could claim premature failure to the shocks but those are only a $400 replacement.

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
Eibach Pro-kit springs don't lower the car enough that it can't drive onto a lift or over the arms of a 2-post. Only problem I've noticed is parking curbs and maintenance ramps. Keep in mind that the amount of people that adjust the ride height after initial installation of coilovers is very low since it isn't as easy as turning a collar. Also Megans are sh**.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts