2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Sedan or Hatch?

21 - 40 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hatch. Was originally looking at the cx-7, but decided that $40k (CAD) was too much to spend on a CUV when I don't have kids or a huge dog. The hatch was the next most practical option for fitting snowboard/camping gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hatch - Graphite with Tech, Bose, Sunroof, Advanced Key and a smile ...
I do not have the slightest idea what the running total is.

Soooo HATCH +1 :beerchug 1:

·
Registered
732 Posts
my '06 was a sedan, but that's cause I did not like the old hatch style. My '10 is a hatch and my dad's '10 is a hatch.

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Hatch never considered anything else

whats that make it now... hatch- 14 sedan- 02 now!

·
1,272 Posts
Added a poll to the thread :)

I'm with all the hatch people so far - more practical, sportier looking, etc...

Where I live I've noticed that all the older people drive the sedans. Younger people drive the Hatches.
Really? That's weird. I see old people drive the MZ6 more than the MZ3. Where I'm from, I notice it seems to be ~90% girls in sedans, and ~90% guys in hatches.

The hatch was the next most practical option for fitting snowboard/camping gear.
Completely off topic but I saw that you were from Vancouver and am curious, have you boarded at Whistler? You're only, what, less than 2 hours from there? I want to go there soooo bad, the place looks amazing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Added a poll to the thread :)

I'm with all the hatch people so far - more practical, sportier looking, etc...

Really? That's weird. I see old people drive the MZ6 more than the MZ3. Where I'm from, I notice it seems to be ~90% girls in sedans, and ~90% guys in hatches.

Completely off topic but I saw that you were from Vancouver and am curious, have you boarded at Whistler? You're only, what, less than 2 hours from there? I want to go there soooo bad, the place looks amazing.
Thanks for adding the poll.
And wow...
Sedan- 2
Hatchback- 14

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yep, was just at whistler today to check out the boards from last season that were on sale. I love it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sedan here, though I actually like the look of the hatch better. The price of the hatch put it out of my range. I was really in the market for a car under 18k, and still ended up with a 2.5l sedan so I was happy. We already have a sienna to haul stuff, so cargo room wasn't that big of a deal to me. It's basically just a commuter car for me. Ideally, I should have just gotten a 2.0 for the better fuel economy, but after test driving both I just couldn't pass up the 6spd manual 2.5l.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 2.0 sedan i used to not really like the hatch look but now the hatch look is creeping on me, and now i love it

·
Pearl White Zoom!
732 Posts
SEDAN!

(I just couldn't get a hatchback, I have a history of loading them with speakers!:shocked:).

But for the record, my other car is a hatchback.:tongue:

·
Nie brykaj...
494 Posts
alot of people criticize the hatch :mellow 1: I have full respect for sedans, but I love how solid the hatch looks. I personally think the first gen mazda3 sedan was badass. These new ones have more of a corolla look i.m.o.
Alot of European rally cars are hatchback because of aerodynamics and easier to fit a roll cage in there. I just wish people wouldn't be so one sided, i rarely meet people who actually understand and appreciate a hatchbacks look.

·
Registered
346 Posts
alot of people criticize the hatch :mellow 1: I have full respect for sedans, but I love how solid the hatch looks. I personally think the first gen mazda3 sedan was badass. These new ones have more of a corolla look i.m.o.
Alot of European rally cars are hatchback because of aerodynamics and easier to fit a roll cage in there. I just wish people wouldn't be so one sided, i rarely meet people who actually understand and appreciate a hatchbacks look.
I find it has a lot to do with where you live and the mentality of the people... When I was in Jacksonville I had an A3 that a lot of people made fun of because it was a hatch... They had no idea I was stage 2+ pushing 275hp and 300ft/lb... plus I could fit a flat screen in the hatch and still average 28mpg to the tank...

They just didn't get it... a useful sports car...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hatch! Gotta love the 3 hatch! They are great, and sedans are everywhere, wanna stick out alil!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Get a hatch if you're the electric rc helicopter hobbists. Put your bird (heli) in the back when you're driving back to Montana for thanksgiving holiday , do some 3d flights out in the open country before sunset.

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
I find it has a lot to do with where you live and the mentality of the people...
^ This

I don't understand it personally... Guess what SUV or crossovers are? Hatchbacks with more ground clearance. People love them even though they will never take them off road.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was always a 2 door coupe guy, this is my first 4/5 door and the Speed 3 led me to it.
Needed a break from the premium gas, low milage and summer tires so I went with the MZ3.
And it hauls my drum kit and other band stuff so win/win!

21 - 40 of 335 Posts