2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Surprisingly good in snow

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Nitsuj 
#1 · (Edited)
Last night we got snow in Colorado Springs. I was worried that my new car would not do very well on snow and ice, but I was pleasantly surprised. With the stock Dunlop tires, my drive to work was very controlled on shallow snow and ice. The ABS did kick while breaking on an icier side-street, but I'm used to that. My '03 Protege was lousy in snow without snow tires (but great with them), so hopefully I won't need to buy snows for this car.

And, of course, the deep crystal blue looks gorgeous contrasted with the snow :)

Update: Enough of skydrive, let me try uploading

Are other people having good experiences in the snow as well?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I agree. Even on Yoko Avid all-seasons, the car has been excellent in snowy condition road handling. I've been driving in snowstorms and icy roads for the past 3 weeks and the car really has exceeded my expectations. The ABS can be a little intrusive at times when I'm slowly sliding at a stop sign, but the traction control really shines and probably saved my car a several times last weekend.

Edmonton got hit hard last weekend, having gone through a melt then a heavy snowstorm. Everything was iced over with 15" of snowfall. I had to make several trips on the same 20km (12 mi) stretch of highway that day and there must've been 10-15 cars in ditches/guardrails/lampposts. There was one spot at the bottom of a slope where 3 cars had spun out and were on the roadside. As I and the car next to me slowed down, the car started breaking loose as soon as I touched the brake pedal. I thought I was going to be next in the ditch, but the car held its composure and I was able to easily straighten out. It was scary as hell, but I'm glad I can depend on this car.

#7 ·
Last night we got snow in Colorado Springs. I was worried that my new car would not do very well on snow and ice, but I was pleasantly surprised. With the stock Dunlop tires, my drive to work was very controlled on shallow snow and ice. The ABS did kick while breaking on an icier side-street, but I'm used to that. My '03 Protege was lousy in snow without snow tires (but great with them), so hopefully I won't need to buy snows for this car.

And, of course, the deep crystal blue looks gorgeous contrasted with the snow :)

Update: I originally posted pics, and they showed up for me. Then they disappeared for awhile (as did the pictures I posted on other threads). Now they're back. I'm linking to skydrive, so idk if it's the forum or skydrive, but something was funky.

Are other people having good experiences in the snow as well?
I see a 403 (access denied) when trying to view the pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.