2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boost or Bust.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my girlfriend and i "mostly my girlfriend" are the proud owners of a 2011 base model mazda 3 with the auto trans. ive always liked the body design of the mazda3, but this 2011 is something else, the headlights rolling up behind you on the highway at night make you drop down a gear and get ready for a race, "cuz all the new camaros and all the tuner kids with turbos run similar lights" to me the body design of this car says, im simple and efficient, but if you mess with me ill knock you out and still get 30mpgs. when pulling up behind one of these i like that the back bumper is high enough it reveals what appears to be actually a very sturdy rear suspension and im not just talking about struts, shocks, or springs im referring to high quality control arms steering knuckles, sway bars etc... "im wondering if this car gets the same suspension the turbo version gets? which would give me extra thumbs up to mazda". and of course this car is a fwd car so the rear wheels are free rolling, alot of companies "gm especially" get away with using cheap control arms and setups that may rust away or distort over time, which can cause your toe and camber to be off and tear through tires. then when you think all you need is an alignment BOOM costly repairs with parts that can only be ordered through the stealership. anyway my point is that it seems mazda did a very good job of tying up the loose ends that your average car buyer will never know the difference. for example everytime gm almost builds a really good car, they end up missing ONE thing! like building a 300hp motor that gets 30 mpg highway but then putting a downpipe in the exhaust that narrows down to barely over an inch while it braggs about having 2 1/2 inch exhaust piepes, or designing a supercharger that eventualy gets so hott that even if you run 93 octane with a shot of meth you still get some knock retard! ive not yet found that 1 thing this car is missing or was overlooked. mazda 3 gives you all the same features that really high end vehicles have but at a much more competitive price and a better resale value!

more than anything im very impressed with the pull the tiny 2.0 N/A motor makes with its 10.0 compression ratio and doesnt require 91 octane??? ive seen cars that run 9.5.1 compression ratio and require 91. so im sure this explains the "diesel like sounds" that ive read alot of people complaining about this motor? sure its not gonna win any races at the strip. but its got all the power your gonna need to make the yellow light or dust the kid thats trying to race you in the base model civic his parents bought him for more than your mazda cost! i will be probably be doing about 100% of the work that will be done to this car while we own it, "even the maintenance i will be doing at my buddys shop so we can have all the proper documents showing work was done in an ase certified shop""ive passed my ASE tests but you must work in a shop for 2 years before being certified". but anyway im far outside of my realm of pushrod, non variable valve timing motors, and vacuum operated automatic transmissions that i rebuild and overhaul everyday just for fun not money. so thats why ive come here to speak with the people who love these cars and are working on them everyday. im looking forward to retaining some of the knowledge you folks have for these cars. and also using my knowledge to help anyone here i can. so, is there anything i need to know about this car right off the bat that i should be aware of or expect?

thank you for listening to my long and drawn out speech. believe me there was way more and i had to trim it down so people will actually read it. i just wanted to share my very positive feedback for this car and how mazda has impressed a high performace do it yourself kind of a guy, and i havent even drivin the turbo version im this impressed on a bare bones base model! possible future mazdaspeed owner? well more likely id like an older miata to do a 1.8 swap and turbo build, those blocks take ABUSE! watched a guy start his up and rev it to 3k every morning to build oil pressure, cuz the pump died. thats the worst thing you can do and its still running strong! sad fact for me though is if its not blown it must suck. but this is not my car this car is for an 18 year old girl who is trying to make ends meet on a daily basis. eveyrthing taken into account, such as price, mpgs, hp, interiror room, comfort, safety, and price of upkeep for this car. this is exactly perfect for her. even the cost of going by the severe maintenace routine isnt that bad, its all stuff you would do to any car you want to last. personally i even think 30k is too long to change the auto trans fluid in an electronic 5 speed, most likely mazda had to use a tranny case the same size they usually use "because of space problems", usually when adding an extra gear for your backyard build. you use thinner clutches and steals to make room for the extra gear in the case, aside from being thinner, you have more shifting which causes more wear, and also since its electronic those gears and constantly smashing in and out of mesh even if your driving it normal "i bet if you tortured the autostick function you could strip the teflon off those clutches in a matter of weeks" the longevity of this transmission is the only thing that im concerned about rolling this car over 100k. hopefully im just livin by the old school way of thinking and im wrong. if mazda built this car for the practical and economical person, well then they hit a home run out of the park with this one.

looking forward to your feedback.

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
lol welcome! i enjoyed reading that long essay haha :p

·
Boost or Bust.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel like we are supposed to prepare a character analysis after that short story. j/k

Welcome to the forum, ibhuff
well since weve had it ive been waiting for the chance to discuss like a million different things with someone who actually knows a little bit about this car.

i just shouldnt have mentioned all million things in one post. lol

but thanks guys. this is a real mellow and helpful forum you guys have here.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Supercharged pontiac fiero???? I love the fiero! Only pontiac i love...well and a firebird...85 fiero gt 4 speed manual my forst car...

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Supercharged pontiac fiero???? I love the fiero! Only pontiac i love...well and a firebird...85 fiero gt 4 speed manual my forst car...
Wuhhhh?!? My first car was the 86 gt! Haha

·
Boost or Bust.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice! i dont have the fiero, really lookin out for one though. but yeah that motor your talking about the 3800 series II supercharged, you can find em cheap now, million parts for em, you can even bolt it up to the trans that comes in mid 90's camaros to make it rwd anyone can rebuild a pushrod motor, but best of all you can make 300 hp while getting 30 mpgs highway and theyre torque monsters! they bolt right in to 20 different models for 20 years. yeah a stock or abused one isnt worth bragging about but if your gonna build yourself a motor theres no better choice. plain and simple. you put one of those motors in a fiero, you just might never drive a faster "and more terrifying" car in your life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts