2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is what a sunroof looks like when a rock hits it. This was from my 2003 Civic. The only reason why a rock would do this because I was driving with the sunroof tilted up for better air circulation in the cabin. As you can see, the glass did shatter but is still intact. If my sunroof wasn't tilted up, there is no way a rock would have done that. It would have made a loud bang but I highly doubt it would have broken. Tell THAT to the dealerships.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is what a sunroof looks like when a rock hits it. This was from my 2003 Civic. The only reason why a rock would do this because I was driving with the sunroof tilted up for better air circulation in the cabin. As you can see, the glass did shatter but is still intact. If my sunroof wasn't tilted up, there is no way a rock would have done that. It would have made a loud bang but I highly doubt it would have broken. Tell THAT to the dealerships.
"Some guy on the Internet says you're wrong." Doubt that'll work.

·
Registered
184 Posts
that almost looks laminated. I've never seen one stay intact like that, especially even after it's been removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 Mazda 3 GT Sunroof Shattering

A couple of weeks ago me and my two daughters where driving home and all of suddenly we heard this very loud sound and we noticed that the sunroof glass just shattered. There was no rock hitting the glass, we did not drive under a overpass, there was no cars in front or behind us, there was hardly any glass inside of the car and we was traveling around 45 MPH slowing down for an intersection. So far Mazda is not taking any responsibilities for this happening and I am out $300.00 on the insurance claim. I purchased the car in April 2015 and the glass shattered in September 2015.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to my 3 Hatchback today

My moonroof shattered today as I was taking it through the touchless car wash I've taken it to at least 20 times. Heard a loud bang just about 1/4 of the way through, which got my attention, then a second bang when the high-speed carwash dryer/blower came on. I opened the shade as I exited and was shocked to see that most of the glass was gone. Additionally, the glass shards were blown over the top and sides and back of the car by the blower tearing up the paint and chipping the taillight assemblies. Numb.

Car wash owner indicated that he would pay at least for some of the repair. Seems like a stand-up guy, but will see. Mazda dealer provided a free loaner until a repair estimate is available, but not sure if Dealer or Mazda will consider the moonroof glass shattering a warranty item. Keeping my insurance company out out the game for now. This thread has helpful ideas, but i'll have to wait and see what the deal is next week before deciding on a course of action. Any other ideas I should consider?

·
Registered
136 Posts
So... I'm driving home from Texas going to Chicago. Driving through Arkansas and my girlfriend and I here an explosion like sound. We were driving 70mph, doing the speed limit. No debris in the road, no flying rock or anything. The following picture explains it all. There's no way that this could've been done by a rock because I have my roof rack with luggage box on top.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1459361123.115996.jpg

Hell of an experience! Waiting for a tow to the nearest dealer for repairs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
212 Posts
So... I'm driving home from Texas going to Chicago. Driving through Arkansas and my girlfriend and I here an explosion like sound. We were driving 70mph, doing the speed limit. No debris in the road, no flying rock or anything. The following picture explains it all. There's no way that this could've been done by a rock because I have my roof rack with luggage box on top.

View attachment 155737

Hell of an experience! Waiting for a tow to the nearest dealer for repairs.

Just a note, but my old M Coupe was known to do the same thing, especially for those of us that used the bolt in roof rack mounts, like I do on my Mazda 3. Torque load across the front crossbar can compress the roof enough to distort the sunroof. Probably worth removing the roof rack if you still can. This is a bigger problem with clip on roof racks, but still an issue with bolt in ones.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just a note, but my old M Coupe was known to do the same thing, especially for those of us that used the bolt in roof rack mounts, like I do on my Mazda 3. Torque load across the front crossbar can compress the roof enough to distort the sunroof. Probably worth removing the roof rack if you still can. This is a bigger problem with clip on roof racks, but still an issue with bolt in ones.

Although I've used my box multiple times already, and for the same trips... from Chicago to Texas, and then back multiple times... this is the first issue that I've had. I'm hoping that it'll be my last as I may no longer need to travel to Texas in the future.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Although I've used my box multiple times already, and for the same trips... from Chicago to Texas, and then back multiple times... this is the first issue that I've had. I'm hoping that it'll be my last as I may no longer need to travel to Texas in the future.

Stay out of my state! :smile2:

But seriously, I ran bikes, skis and a cargo basket on my M Coupe and never blew up the sunroof. Just bikes on the 3, but it's fine so far too. I think it's just down to luck, yours ran out, good luck on getting it all tidied up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Stay out of my state! :smile2:

But seriously, I ran bikes, skis and a cargo basket on my M Coupe and never blew up the sunroof. Just bikes on the 3, but it's fine so far too. I think it's just down to luck, yours ran out, good luck on getting it all tidied up.

Got it all fixed, except for the few pieces of glass that went inside my headliner. gotta get that cleaned up somehow! dealership filed a claim with Mazda, and I didn't have to pay anything. I'm hoping that I no longer have to use the cargo box as I recently got some good news.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sunroof shattered too

Damn, it happened to me too, sunroof shattered when exiting a highway, no car nearby, on a 2015 Mazda 3 HB. Pieces of glass everywhere. Hopefully my passenger and me didn't get any glass in the eyes, and no kids were in the car at that moment. Warranty claim in progress, but no response yet, Mazda is very slow (already 2 weeks). I heard that a class action is also in progress (not only for Mazda)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My sunroof exploded today!!

My sunroof on my 2012 Mazda CX9 exploded today. Just driving down the road, no other cars around, loud boom and glass all over us!
Went right to the Mazda dealer. They gave us a loaner car and are covering the repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me today. I have a 2012 Mazda 3 and i was driving on the highway back to work when suddenly i heard a loud boom and it sounded like something huge landed on my roof. I quickly realised it shattered my sunroof and it looks the exact same as yours (pushed outwards). At first i thought someone threw a rock but it was in a forest area and no vehicles were by me. Luckily i had the cover closed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Similar experience happened to me when I was driving my brothers Scion TC a few years back. Driving on the highway, loud bang, and I opened the shade to have some glass fall on me. That put me back $300... Hopefully this isn't a common thing because it sucks driving to work with a busted sunroof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Mazda 3 -sunroof shattered.

This just happened to my wife while driving 35 mph home last weekend. She suddenly heard something exploded. she thought it was a blown tire. She stopped and look around. its wasn't the tires. Shockingly saw the sunroof glass shattered in pieces. It seems very odd. Today Monday, called the dealer. I asked if it should be under warranty. They can't say yet till they see the vehicle. Taking it down on Wednesday to the dealer shop. We'll see how it goes.. Thanks Joe.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts