2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
And in the meantime you're suppose to drive around getting snow and rain in your car, or what?
Luckily I still own a gen 1 Mazda 3 which I'm going to sell very soon. I'll keep driving it until I get my roof fixed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Finally got it fixed. Good and bad news.
Good news is I didn't have to pay for it.
Bad news is they're not taking responsibility for it, meaning they don't think the glass is defective.
It's fixed "as a goodwill to customer". BS

I'm still in the process of talking to Mazda Canada to see if they can compensate me for anything else. They don't seem to be budging though.

Attachments

·
Somewhere in the Matrix
170 Posts
I wouldn't push to hard for anything extra from Mazda! They fixed it. You didn't have to pay for it. I would leave it at that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bad news is they're not taking responsibility for it, meaning they don't think the glass is defective.

I'm still in the process of talking to Mazda Canada to see if they can compensate me for anything else. They don't seem to be budging though.
What more do you want from them? Be happy they covered the repairs at no cost to you, doesn't matter what they called it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I would totally be happy if they said the glass is defective and agreed and it probably exploded from the inside. But they insisted that something hit it even though the remaining glass was protruding outwards. Their attitude made it seem like it was my fault the glass broke and my story was a lie.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is just their way of covering their ass and not setting any precedent that for future headache.

They wouldn't have fixed it if they had any evidence that it was operator error.

It's corporation doing corporate thing.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I would totally be happy if they said the glass is defective and agreed and it probably exploded from the inside. But they insisted that something hit it even though the remaining glass was protruding outwards. Their attitude made it seem like it was my fault the glass broke and my story was a lie.
I'd imagine that dealers hate doing work without making money on it. Likely that they've seen a lot of others have to pay for it being fixed. It's really nothing against you, its simply you getting away with what they consider murder. Plus they likely get reimbursed very differently for goodwill vs warranty work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The fact is the dealer (like you) does not know how it happened. Since there is no concrete evidence to show a cause, I think you should be happy the dealer paid for the repair. :surrender: Many dealers would have told you to pee up a rope. Sounds like a good dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the same thing happen in my 2012 Mazda 3. Driving along at 90 km on a highway, not a lot of traffic around, then a loud boom and a rain-shower of sunroof glass. It took an hour or so for my hearing to fully return in my right ear. The dealership wants me to put it through insurance. They claim it must have been a rock. I stated that there was no evidence of a rock and the loud boom and upward curve of the remaining glass didn't seem to support the "rock" theory. They are taking photos and sending it along to the engineers to see if it qualifies for warranty. I am still 10 days within the 3 year warranty term. Last sunroof for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Compensate you for what? They already fixed the problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice thread revival.

I have honestly never heard of or seen this. That's nuts.

I keep my little sliding cover closed almost all of the time. Truthfully, I very seldom use the sunroof in my vehicles. If it just so happens to be packaged with other amenities I am seeking, than so be it. Looks like a good reason to shy away from them in the future. But hell...looks like even windshields aren't safe from unprovoked fracture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same just happened to me Mazda 3 2014

Driving home doing 65 mph on the Glenn Highway. Air temp 60F(15C). Windows rolled up, no air on, Sunroof closed and thank goodness the shade was shut. Heard a loud boom and sounded like hail on the roof. Thought someone shot at me. Pulled over when I could and saw the sunroof glass was shattered. Called dealership after =I got home to report it and schedule a repair. The first thing the service appt rep asked was; "is the glass pointing in or out?. Duh, I had to drive home so part is pointing in and part of it is point out for what is left. They wanted to know if I was going to have my insurance cover it. I told them to just order the glass and schedule an appointment. It has to be fixed no matter who pays for it. Waiting on their estimate and call back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
They should fix it for free unless it broke because something fell on it.

In a nutshell, chance of loose rock being kicked up from road and shattering your sunroof is nil.

BMW tries to blame shattered sunroof on rock, UC professor says otherwise | abc7news.com

7 On Your Side then discussed this incident with Tarek Zohdi, a professor of mechanical engineering at UC Berkeley. He calculated a rock lofted into the air by a vehicle tire would reach a height of 10-15 feet and would have to come down at 70-80 miles an hour to break the sunroof.

"There is not a chance in the world that an unintentional rock that is lofted by a vehicle would ever break a sunroof panel," Zohdi said.

·
Registered
19 Posts
this has been an issue already. If you do a bit of searching you'll find the outcome of the other individual who went through this. Not sure of the final outcome, but I think it was declared a warranty thing.

Good luck. Dont let them push you around. They should be able to cover it.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts