2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just driving home from work on the highway i usually take and all of the sudden my sunroof just shattered. I checked around my car to see if something dropped onto my sunroof but there wasn't anything. Also note in the pictures that the leftover sunroof is facing outwards, so I'm assuming it exploded from the inside of the car.

Anyone else had this happen? And who the hek should i contact for this?!

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is a strange phenomenon I've seen happening more often lately although this is the first time on the Mz3. Usually it's caused by an older hairline crack in the glass that gives out when there is high pressure on the glass and blows out.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Wow! That is messed up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Latent defect in the tempered glass, be happy it happened while the car is still under warranty. I've had same thing happen on tempered glass window in my home once, 8 years after the house was built - it just shattered for no apparent reason one day.

I'm presuming this is a 2014/2015 mazda 3, so this should still be covered by warranty. Bring it to your dealer to get it fixed.

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is not super common, but I have heard of this happening before. I hope they cover it under your warranty, they might make you go through insurance. I was doing research on Hyundai's before I got my 3 and this had happened on a couple of Velosters, and Hyundai wasn't covering them under warranty for whatever BS reason they came up with.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't think it's temperature related as the other posts have implied. It feels like -30 C/ -27.4 F but my sunroof is just fine. I hope the dealer replaces it for you free of charge under warranty, do let us know.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is not super common, but I have heard of this happening before. I hope they cover it under your warranty, they might make you go through insurance. I was doing research on Hyundai's before I got my 3 and this had happened on a couple of Velosters, and Hyundai wasn't covering them under warranty for whatever BS reason they came up with.
DO NOT let the dealer tell you this is not under warranty, this is clearly a latent defect issue, and that's how you should explain the problem to them - make it clear that the car wasn't hit by a rock or vandalized, and show them the pictures. Mazda will pay the dealer to do the repairs, so the dealer will probably just take care of it for you.

IF the dealer starts to push back, you need to tell them that you want Mazda corporate involved. Read your warranty documentation - it has clear procedures on how to handle warranty coverage disagreements with a Mazda dealership. Follow the terms explicitly and get Mazda to satisfy your problem. Going thru your insurance company to get this fixed will just give them an excuse to jack up your rates.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Crazy. This happened to my buddy's gas fireplace at his brand new house. He was sitting in his living room one day and *POW* the fireplace shattered just like how your sunroof did. Very interested to see how this gets handled.

·
Registered
184 Posts
wow... that must've been scary. Definitely manufacturing defect with tempered glass. More common with large panoramic roofs, but this isn't your fault. Old Cadillac SRX used to suffer from this big time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
DO NOT let the dealer tell you this is not under warranty, this is clearly a latent defect issue, and that's how you should explain the problem to them - make it clear that the car wasn't hit by a rock or vandalized, and show them the pictures. Mazda will pay the dealer to do the repairs, so the dealer will probably just take care of it for you.

IF the dealer starts to push back, you need to tell them that you want Mazda corporate involved. Read your warranty documentation - it has clear procedures on how to handle warranty coverage disagreements with a Mazda dealership. Follow the terms explicitly and get Mazda to satisfy your problem. Going thru your insurance company to get this fixed will just give them an excuse to jack up your rates.
What this guy says.

DO NOT back down. That is a BS defect and Mazda better cover it. Be a jerk if you need to be because this is not okay.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did any of the glass shatter on you? I would think some of it had to land on your shoulder or neck area. Were you injured in any way, a cut or abrasion of some sort? If yes, you should take photos of those cuts and take them with you to the dealer. They will gladly replace your moon roof to avoid a personal injury claim, normally handled by a lawyer.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Shattering sunroofs have been prophesied.....the end is near!
Where are Mulder & Scully now?
Anything paranormal should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A pebble most likely blew out your glass. It could have been so small you wouldn't hear it, it just has to hit on the edge. There is a very small edge that's exposed, hence why it's so rare.

There's a chance it's a flaw in the glass, but 9/10 it was a rock, especially since you were on the highway when it happened.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I highly doubt it was a pebble that did this. From all the cases that I've read about this they are exploding from the inside out. Even if you look at the pictures the blast. The edge of the sunroof is intact and the center is clearly the failure point.

Here is a good article as to why they explode, like some of the other members have stated, it was a defect in the glass and the difference in pressure between the inside and outside caused the explosion.

Why Do Sunroofs Explode? | CarComplaints.com

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did any of the glass shatter on you? I would think some of it had to land on your shoulder or neck area. Were you injured in any way, a cut or abrasion of some sort? If yes, you should take photos of those cuts and take them with you to the dealer. They will gladly replace your moon roof to avoid a personal injury claim, normally handled by a lawyer.
Some of the glass did shatter on my right hand. Minor cuts, but still, it was bleeding. If the sunroof is covered by warranty, I hope to convince Mazda to give me a few dealer accessories free of charge to compensate for the damage that's been done. Will they even budge on that?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's an update I received from Mazda Canada yesterday. I contacted my dealer and they sent a warranty ticket to Mazda Canada. I believe they will get back to me on Monday.

"Thank you for contacting Mazda.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience you had with the sunroof on your 2015 M3G. We strive to provide only the highest degree of customer satisfaction and product quality and regret to hear of your concern.

As I understand you have been in have been in contact with your Mazda dealership who has in turn been in contact with our Warranty department. We are currently reviewing the warranty ticket and will be in contact with the dealership to relay our findings.

I have also documented your comments for our records. If you would like assistance in setting an appointment with the dealer or have other questions, please call me at the number below, referencing your Service Request number.

Sincerely,

Holly

Customer Relations Coordinator
MAZDA CANADA INC
800.263.4680"

1 - 20 of 65 Posts