2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching this forum for a while looking for a solution to the annoying and ugly airbag warning stickers on the sun visor of my 2016 Mazda 3. It appears as though this particular version of the sticker is impossible to remove and it is also impossible to obtain a replacement visor that does not include this sticker. Before I decide to pursue some more desperate measures to get rid of these unsightly sticker, I am thinking of trying a covering sticker. I have come across this website: Home Page where they appear to have a solution to this problem. I want to know if anyone else has already tried this and if so, how it turned out.

I am unfortunate to be partially color blind, so I may end up needing to order a few different colors and see if they match. My interior is black cloth, but the top half seems to be a light gray or possibly a tan color(again, my color vision issue). Does anyone else have any thoughts before I buy a bunch of stickers?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I've also looked into removing those stickers too but yeah it seems quite difficult to do :( I might give those stickers a try and see how it comes out. Looking at their color chart, our visor looks more like the "pearl" color. I'm going to double check tomorrow when the sun's out to make sure it's "pearl" :D

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Okay, I ordered the pearl one. Had a couple friends check and they all say the pearl color matches the closest. Will see how it comes out :)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Just got them today, pearl is too light so gonna try something slightly darker next time. I'll just keep them on for now lol

·
Registered
336 Posts
It is possible to remove that label, took about half an hour to do both, using Goof Off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is possible to remove that label, took about half an hour to do both, using Goof Off.

That is great to hear. Did you soak the label in Goof Off for a while and start to peel, or did you try another method? I have a ready supply of Goo Gone, which I believe is a very similar product.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That is great to hear. Did you soak the label in Goof Off for a while and start to peel, or did you try another method? I have a ready supply of Goo Gone, which I believe is a very similar product.
Exactly. I removed the visor, though some people perform operation while it's still attached to headliner. Don't rub too hard, and don't freak out when vinyl looks all wrinkled; once it dries, the wrinkling disappears.

Plenty of online tutorials show how it's done, good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The texture is pretty close to the visor itself.

Btw, I just ordered "shale" color so we'll see if it matches this time.
How did it go? Is shale the correct color?

I tried the Goof Off removal method. It did work, but was kind of a pain. Plus it never looks perfect afterwards. I ordered some new visors and will try the stickers to see which is better.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
How did it go? Is shale the correct color?

I tried the Goof Off removal method. It did work, but was kind of a pain. Plus it never looks perfect afterwards. I ordered some new visors and will try the stickers to see which is better.
No, that didn't match either so I returned it. They sent me a sample sheet and none really matches 100%. I kind of misplaced the sample sheet as I was saving it for my friend's opinion and see which one is closer lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I successfully removed the visor labels just using a heat gun (hot air gun, you could use a blow dryer). Took quite a while but it worked, just have to remove a bit at a time. I also soaked the labels in isopropanol (with lab-grade pure isopropanol, not the diluted drug-store stuff) by putting an isopropanol-soaked paper towel on them for a few minutes (hoping that would enable me to remove to labels without heat, which didn't work). The isopropanol soak may or may not have helped the heat-gun removal, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been searching this forum for a while looking for a solution to the annoying and ugly airbag warning stickers on the sun visor of my 2016 Mazda 3. It appears as though this particular version of the sticker is impossible to remove and it is also impossible to obtain a replacement visor that does not include this sticker. Before I decide to pursue some more desperate measures to get rid of these unsightly sticker, I am thinking of trying a covering sticker. I have come across this website: Home Page where they appear to have a solution to this problem. I want to know if anyone else has already tried this and if so, how it turned out.

I am unfortunate to be partially color blind, so I may end up needing to order a few different colors and see if they match. My interior is black cloth, but the top half seems to be a light gray or possibly a tan color(again, my color vision issue). Does anyone else have any thoughts before I buy a bunch of stickers?

This is what worked for me.

I couldn't get Goof Off the penetrate. I used lacquer thinner and it worked perfectly (paint thinner is not strong enough). Remove visors. Fold up a few paper towels to fit over label. Place paper towels on label and pour lacquer thinner slowly on paper towels till soaked. Let sit for a few min. Continuously check label. I doesn't take long. When label starts to bubble up you can remove paper towels. Label should come right off at that point. Make sure to not leave lacquer thinner on any longer than necessary. Wash visor with soapy water to remover any lacquer thinner remaining. The plastic will have a slight wave after removal, but after a day or two of drying will return to its original perfect shape.

I read this somewhere, but can't remember where. Worked perfectly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts