2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been wanting to go to a summer tire here in Hawaii, I want everyone's opinion on what Summer Tires is the best bang for my buck in terms of performance, comfort, tread wear, so an all around performer. I have a few front runners and the three that come to mind are the Pilot Sport 4S (most expensive, but most highly regarded, is it truly worth it for a 2.5 L that I plan to get tuned?), Extreme Contact Sport (Middle of the pack, all arounder, with some dings on soft sidewall for it's class), and Firehawk Indy 500 (cheapest but seems to be a top performer beyond it's price point). I want to know what you guys have experienced (strength, weaknesses, how long the tires will last, daily driving considerations, etc.) since all I've really tried out are some OEM and G-Force Comp 2 A/S.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Unless you really go through tires it's gonna be a few years before you need another set. But personally, I'd be looking for the potenza pole positions in a tire. Get on a chat with tire rack folks and they should be able to help you figure out a super grippy summer tire that handles the rain.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So I've been wanting to go to a summer tire here in Hawaii, I want everyone's opinion on what Summer Tires is the best bang for my buck in terms of performance, comfort, tread wear, so an all around performer. I have a few front runners and the three that come to mind are the Pilot Sport 4S (most expensive, but most highly regarded, is it truly worth it for a 2.5 L that I plan to get tuned?), Extreme Contact Sport (Middle of the pack, all arounder, with some dings on soft sidewall for it's class), and Firehawk Indy 500 (cheapest but seems to be a top performer beyond it's price point). I want to know what you guys have experienced (strength, weaknesses, how long the tires will last, etc.) since all I've really tried out are some OEM and G-Force Comp 2 A/S.
Stick with the BFGoodrich G ForceComp 2 A/S...for here in Hawaii, you don't need the summer tire...had that exact set on my performance '05 scion xb before getting my '17 gt hatch in early Feb 2017. those A/S tires have so many good reviews on tirerack.com

Anyway, all mentioned car tires you can get as special order at Costco.. (just takes about 2-3 weeks before they'll call you to let you know it's in)...

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
What make you think the Continental ECS is a middle of the pack tire? Most of those who actually use it give it top notch reviews. I find it to be an excellent tire, performing well above its class rating. Its well worth a look.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What make you think the Continental ECS is a middle of the pack tire? Most of those who actually use it give it top notch reviews. I find it to be an excellent tire, performing well above its class rating. Its well worth a look.

Yes...I was hoping you would chime in on the subject. I know you run them and wanted your take on them. I am taking a hard look at them how do they hold up tread wise in the long run, I understand Max Performance Summer Tires aren't going to last as long as my Ultra High Performance. Granted I might be running them year round here in Hawaii, but what can I expect from them?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you really go through tires it's gonna be a few years before you need another set. But personally, I'd be looking for the potenza pole positions in a tire. Get on a chat with tire rack folks and they should be able to help you figure out a super grippy summer tire that handles the rain.

Yeah I understand that but if I plan on going with a lightweight set-up in the next coming year or so, with some flow formed wheels and some lighter stickier tires. I was looking at some solid evidence like how the grip holds up, the tread life, and just general dynamics of the tires.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stick with the BFGoodrich G ForceComp 2 A/S...for here in Hawaii, you don't need the summer tire...had that exact set on my performance '05 scion xb before getting my '17 gt hatch in early Feb 2017. those A/S tires have so many good reviews on tirerack.com

Anyway, all mentioned car tires you can get as special order at Costco.. (just takes about 2-3 weeks before they'll call you to let you know it's in)...
Thanks for the heads-up about the Costco deal I'll definitely compare prices. Why do you think I wouldn't need summer tires? We only experience two different weather conditions Dry and Wet here which so happen the Max Performance and Ultra High Performance Summer tires excel in, I don't need the A/S really until I move back to the mainland, and even then maybe have dedicated Summer/Winter set-ups due to the location I move to. Light weight Summer tires w/Rotary Forged Wheels and Up-size Size tires w/OEM wheels if it comes to it.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
Yes...I was hoping you would chime in on the subject. I know you run them and wanted your take on them. I am taking a hard look at them how do they hold up tread wise in the long run, I understand Max Performance Summer Tires aren't going to last as long as my Ultra High Performance. Granted I might be running them year round here in Hawaii, but what can I expect from them?
Some reading for you:
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=665480

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=665844

·
Registered
132 Posts
Costco carries BFGoodrich/Michelin and Bridgestone..You do know BFGoodrich is owned by Michelin...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've found a great mix between price, treadwear and performance with Falken Azenis FK510's. About $100 per tire and easily available online at many retailers.
As everyone said above do a bit more research but I personally found the Azenis to be everything I was looking for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some reading for you:
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=665480

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=665844
Costco carries BFGoodrich/Michelin and Bridgestone..You do know BFGoodrich is owned by Michelin...
I've been happy with the continental dws06. But, if I lived in Hawaii and never saw mud or snow or ever really put on a lot of miles. I'd be all over Max summer tires. They grip like mad across the spectrum. But if you want a more common size, check into 225/45/18

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=239 should give you an idea of the tires in this space.
Thanks everyone for the help.

I didn’t know that Michelin owned BF Goodrich, actually my bad.

Arathol my man thanks for the good read, you are a scholar and gentleman. I’m pretty sold now, do you think I should try to improve performance by having a bit of stretch. You have specifically mentioned it in some “search bar” research that a little bit of stretch will help in that regard.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've found a great mix between price, treadwear and performance with Falken Azenis FK510's. About $100 per tire and easily available online at many retailers.
As everyone said above do a bit more research but I personally found the Azenis to be everything I was looking for.
I'm really interested in checking these out at such a low price point and even Tire Rack has done road tests against the Firehawk's came out good. I might pair these with my wheels. Just not many reviews are out. How is the actual treadwear holding up and how many miles have they lasted (what conditions and driving style)?

·
Registered
185 Posts
They're Falken Azenis 225/45r17 mounted on Black Advanti HY Hybris 17x7.5 wheels.
I've had them for a little over 6 months and approximately 10k on them, they ride really well and have decent wet weather grip, on public roads I've gotten nowhere near their limits before I reached mine. They are slightly more noisy than the stock Ecopias but they are infinitely better feeling.
I'd say they are a little soft overall and I was running them a little high in PSI (36) making the middle of the tire wear a little more than the edges near the sidewall. I'd recommend something around 33PSI to avoid this later.
When I swapped to my winter tires two weeks ago they still had approximately 3/4 of their tread left.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
I’m pretty sold now, do you think I should try to improve performance by having a bit of stretch. You have specifically mentioned it in some “search bar” research that a little bit of stretch will help in that regard.
Yeah, I think a bit of stretch helps a lot with these. The sidewalls are not bad to begin with, and stretching them slightly gives them a better feel. The tread face is fairly wide and extends a bit onto the shoulder, so using a slightly wider rim allows you to take advantage of this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go with the Firestone Indy 500. They are the best bang for the buck. The Firestones balance the best.

Another good option is the Nitto Invo. I have those on my 2012 2.5l and have been great for the last 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts