2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

Which is the best item to fix Hyperflashing on LED Rear Turn Signals?

I installed VLEDS Rear Turn Signals LED's and noticed they flash too fast...I saw a couple of threads on how to fix it but none of these thread didn't post a specific product recommendation. Therefore I'm asking what do you guys recommend to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Dave!

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Suggest you use load resistors. Here is what one vendor notes on their web site: "single or double resistor configurations to provide resistance across either a ground or positive, or both simultaneously. Most application only require the single pole version."

Suggest you contact our vendor Diode Dynamics and see what they have to solve the rear signal hyperflash you are experiencing.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Those look like top notch bulbs. Question please: The OP just mentioned his rear ones flashing. And I remember another post months ago about a person getting two bulbs.

What am I missing, for do we not need one for each of the four corners of our cars?

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Don't really have any pics. Here's a couple videos I took a while back.

Fronts...

Rears...

I've since changed the rear ones to red since I've put red overlays over the turn signal area.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I might perhaps buy the IJMD bulbs, but in case I don't, do I need to put resistors in each side as @Roadtrip mentioned? Additionally best resistor recommendation?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Your hyperflashing turn signals?

@Davidval18, hope all is now going well for your car, that you found a reallly good solution to your hyperflashing turn signals, for I will be embarking on that same LED turn signal switchout myself.

I too looked into the iJDM ones with their integral resistors, but their very short warranty?
@lowincash, you bought/installed those. How long ago please, and are they continuing to work well for you please?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
@Davidval18, hope all is now going well for your car, that you found a reallly good solution to your hyperflashing turn signals, for I will be embarking on that same LED turn signal switchout myself.

I too looked into the iJDM ones with their integral resistors, but their very short warranty?
@lowincash, you bought/installed those. How long ago please, and are they continuing to work well for you please?
I've had them for over two years now and they've been fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most LED bulbs require using resistors in parallel with the bulb in order to prevent hyperflashing. I'm using Sylvania Zevo bulbs in my car, and when I bought them I also bought Sylvania load balancing resistors. You need one for each bulb that flashes. The resistors get hot with sustained use but let's be honest how long do you keep your turn signals on for anyway?

Also, when installing LEDs don't use your hazards to judge whether you're getting hyperflashing.
Apparently they use a different flasher relay that's not bothered by LEDs, so they'll flash normally but the turn signals will hyperflash.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Thank you @Bikergeek ! This issue is like peeling layers off an onion, i.e., learn something, and more yet to learn.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally installed VLEDS resistors with duo- harness clips, I didn't put dielectric grease since I thought it was not necessary.

Had to cut down a bit the jacket tube on the left bulb connector to fit clip in the harness clips, and on the right needed to pull gently the spongy thing upwards and cut down a bit the tape.

So 3 questions:

1- Are the resistors , especially the left one properly positioned? I want to a void melting , and the left resistor is not touching the LED's connector , but i'ts very close to it.

2- Do you guys recommend putting the dielectric grease?

3- What is the spongy thingy on the end of the power connectors Yellow and Grey? It must have a purpose just curiosity.

Cheers!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts