2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was on night shifts this weekend but haven't been feeling well. Decided to go home early. Apparently that was a big mistake....I'm now sitting on the side of the highway waiting for a tow.

Hit some animal on the road, couldn't see it until I was right on top of it. Then maybe a couple kms later the engine temp light starts flashing at me. Pull over and whatever it was trashed my rad by the looks of it. Coolant everywhere. Best part is I'm less than 10 minutes from home. Still, not going to risk blowing my engine up.

Life sucks sometimes. Guess I'll be buying some parts soon.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems ZeroG. Hope you get your Maz3 humming again without too much expense or delay.

I hate to drive at night, because I realize that at highway speeds, I'm usually traveling too fast to stop in time to avoid hitting a non-reflective object in the road. And even if an animal has reflective eyes, they often are running from the side towards the road, making them unavoidable in the dark.

·
Bluenyte
25 Posts
I’m sorry that happened. I’ve been wanting to go on night drives in the mountains where I am, but I’m worried about deers popping up. I hope you’re able to get the car working soon.

·
Registered
482 Posts
at least it's not a fucking roo. like the ones we get here (down under) ... if you hit it, goodbye front end..

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
at least it's not a fucking roo. like the ones we get here (down under) ... if you hit it, goodbye front end..
Thankfully it wasn't anything that big. I'm guessing a raccoon or something of similar size. Biggest thing I'd hit up here would probably be a deer.

I'm going to go through insurance for this one, an unusual move for me since I usually fix all my own stuff. It's just too much damage to handle on my own right now. The cost in parts alone will well exceed my deductible.

The good news is that I have had a clean record with insurance for about 20 years now and my policy is quite good. $500 deductible, accident forgiveness and they're going to cover both the tow and a rental up to $3000.

Kinda sucks to have an accident on the car now but then I have no intentions of selling it. It's going to the scrapyard once I'm done with it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the rental company gave me a Chevy Cruze. That's one hell of an insult to us Mazda drivers lol.

I'll survive somehow...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I totally feel you. After all of the work I've put into my car, it almost feels like part of the family.

Driving a rental feels like I'm cheating on her or something.

I hope you get your ride back soon and they make her look even better than before. You may even get a free detailing out of the deal.
CK

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sucks man. I'd always advise pulling over after an animal strike to check damage.

I hit a deer barely in my previous car. I went through insurance and only had to pay the deductible. I think the total was close to 5,000 with no radiator damage, just parts and paint. The deer hair was embedded in the bumper but they said if there was any question they would ask for more details or pictures.

My rates didn't go up from the comprehensive repair.

Hope it works out for you. We pay insurance premiums for a reason!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I didn't have any choice but to pull over with all my coolant on the highway behind me :p

I have to say the Chevy Cruze is a total piece of garbage. I just drove up to the cottage with it and wow it's pretty bad. The only good thing I can say is it has the EcoBoost engine and yeah it's not bad for power slight bit of turbo lag, but it accelerates faster than the 2.0L skyactiv-g. Trans shifts smoothly and fuel economy appears to be good maybe better than our cars by a little bit.

Now on to the bad....the suspension is a joke compared to our cars. It just isn't stable on the road, wanders easily. Lots of body roll. A turn than I can easily take at 100km/h in the 3 feels like you're going to die at 80 in this thing. It oversteers badly so keeping it going in a straight line is a challenge. As typical for GM, the gas pedal is far too resistive and notchy for lack of better description. That makes maintaining a constant speed a challenge.

The controls are proof that there is no god. It's pretty standard that you have stereo controls of some sort on the steering wheel these days and is a great safety feature. There's four directional buttons that I figured would do just that. I was wrong. These control the trip computer display that takes up way too much of the dash cluster. It's loaded with information but most of it is worthless and a total ass to navigate.

All your stereo controls are almost out of reach. Keep in mind that I'm 5'10" which is pretty well average height for a male. Anyone shorter probably couldn't do it. Middle of the car. The controls are not intuitive at all. Needless submenus and scrolling that are designed to keep your eyes off the road and killed. I don't feel safe changing an album while driving!

So what about answering a phone call? Surely there has to be those buttons on the wheel. Well there's the hang up button....the answer button is the far end below the stereo on the passenger side! It makes no sense at all.

But hey at least it has OnStar. The woefully outdated technology that GM keeps humping but nobody wants. That is taking up the space where I could have had somewhere to store my glasses. Thanks guys, guess seeing isn't a concern. I have both prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses so that's important to me.

The cupholders are stupid. Too shallow so your cup is going to tip and spill. I like a cup of tea while I drive, not so keen on the mess.

Seat is terribly uncomfortable. Back pain whole ride.

The gas tank filler is also pretty stupid. They wanted something without a cap. Door open s when you press it asking for someone to try and drain the tank. Plastic filler recepticle, has a little door you push the nozzle through. Seems cool at first, no forgetting to tighten the cap. Until you remove the pump nozzle and fuel spills everywhere!

This car is ass. Can't wait to get the 3 back. Mazda has nothing to worry about for competition from GM. All they have is an insult to anyone that likes to drive.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I found the music controls on the steering wheel. Forward and back, volume up and down. They put them on the back of the wheel kinda like paddle shifters.

I do admit that I have no read the owner's manual. I just haven't had time. I also don't care much lol.

·
Registered
482 Posts
No wonder they are discontinuing the cruze.
not surprised if chevy follows ford and discontinue cars for the North American market. honestly still quite surprised with ford having had a wonderful new focus RS and discontinuing car production..

they've already fucked our australian market over by closing the factory and importing those european crap and dug us a further hole by selling vauxhall and opel to PCA

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
They are still producing the base Focus for North America and will most likely bring back the RS or ST versions at some point down the line. Hopefully, with a more reliable engine and head gasket design.
CK

·
Registered
482 Posts
focus and fiestas have been the main sellers for markets like europe and australia. from the base model to the ST and RS. basic white girls always love a fiesta or focus. i really don't see them canning those products there.

america on the other hand is an odd market.. but nonetheless, the RS and mustang was what saved the passenger market for ford in the US i reckon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They are still producing the base Focus for North America and will most likely bring back the RS or ST versions at some point down the line. Hopefully, with a more reliable engine and head gasket design.
CK
The last Focus for North America was built in May 2018, IIRC.That would apply to the ST as well because they came from Michigan Assembly. That plant is what is now making the Ranger. The RS was imported from Germany.

Who knows if we will get an ST or RS version of the new Focus. They will probably be too expensive to bring in from Germany. Ford would rather sell that customer a Mustang.

·
Registered
482 Posts
may 2018 is a long time ago. fortunately for this end of the world, all ford comes from the german and thailand factory with the exception of the mustang.. even the ranger comes from the thai factory rather than from USA.. the sad thing down under was the ceasing of the falcon XR6 and 8..

so how's the cruze going? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
*The Electrician*
835 Posts
I was pretty sad about 2 months ago when I went on Ford's website and the Focus was gone. I was super close to getting a Focus before the Mazda but I couldn't find one with a 2.0L and a stick. I wanted the ST but didn't want to pay the extra insurance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts