2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I've been messing around with the system, and have managed to get it stuck in a boot loop (which I figured would happen eventually).

However, I have tried several methods to ssh in, but to no avail, so I wanted to see if you guys have another idea.

The Setup :
- 2016 Mazda 3 iSport
- Infotainment v56
-
USB to Ethernet adapter, claimed to work from here

- Car is plugged in directly into the laptop's ethernet via above converter

I've got Ubuntu 15.10 running on my laptop via live usb (I run arch, but I figured that most of the people on here have had success with ububtu, so I'd use that).

Here is my process:

Install udhcp, fping, sshpass:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc) universe"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get -y install udhcpd fping sshpass
Start the dhcp server
Code:
sudo ifconfig elo1 192.168.0.1
sudo udhcpd -f
At this point, the car never connects. The link and activity lights never come on. Assuming they did, I was planning to use the script outlined in method #1, but I never make it that far.

It is worth noting that when I got the boot loop, I had ssh'd in, and ran my script to update the necessary files (just replacing the background, and changing the glow / coin colors). The new files took perfectly (correct place and correct size at least), however the system complained about being out of space and hung. Now it boots up for about 25-35 seconds (it varies each time), before rebooting. Some digging around on the forums seems agree with my hunch that it's the watchdog, and not something more serious, but it really doesn't matter if I can't get in.

Ultimately any advice on alternate methods to get in would be really appreciated, as would pointing out my flaw in the method listed above.

Thanks again for any advice you guys have.
- Code

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know this isn't a normal issue, but if anybody here has successfully (or not) recovered from one of these loops before, I'd love to know the process that you used, as well as any hardware or software involved.
I can't help but feel like it's something as simple as a hardware or software mismatch, but I've tried several different configurations to no avail (using an old router as a DHCP server, my laptop, as posted above, as well as a usb with some diagnostic tweaks, ...).

On a side note, how long does it usually take for a usb's payload to execute? I've got about 30 seconds of uptime, which sounds like it's plenty, but I can never actually get anything to run from it (USB 2.0, 2G, FAT32, tried top and bottom slots).

Thanks for your time,
- Code

1 - 2 of 2 Posts