2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I lowered my car maybe 4 months ago with Koni Yellows struts and Road Magnet lowering springs.
But recently I have been hearing some clunking sounds when going over any bump, big or small at lower speeds.
Strangely when I go over small bumps at higher speeds, I do not hear any extra clunks just the normal first initial sound that you get when going over bumps, but no more smaller clunks to follow.
I brought it to a local mechanic and they say its possible that I need new front endlinks.

I just want to know if lowering the car really caused the oem front endlinks to go bad.
It sort of make sense since I did upgrade to whiteline rear sway bar + adjustable endlinks in the rear, and I do not hear any clunk in the rear.
What do you guys think? Is the mechanic correct?

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
Hey guys,

I lowered my car maybe 4 months ago with Koni Yellows struts and Road Magnet lowering springs.
But recently I have been hearing some clunking sounds when going over any bump, big or small at lower speeds.
Strangely when I go over small bumps at higher speeds, I do not hear any extra clunks just the normal first initial sound that you get when going over bumps, but no more smaller clunks to follow.
I brought it to a local mechanic and they say its possible that I need new front endlinks.

I just want to know if lowering the car really caused the oem front endlinks to go bad.
It sort of make sense since I did upgrade to whiteline rear sway bar + adjustable endlinks in the rear, and I do not hear any clunk in the rear.
What do you guys think? Is the mechanic correct?
Are you sure its from the front?
Yes it is possible that the front endlinks are bad. When you lower the car you change the suspension geometry, in this case how the front bar interacts with the link. The OEM links are pretty weak to begin with. When you change the geometry you apply the load in a direction other than what was intended, and eventually this can cause the link to fail. The OEM part is held together by those little red plastic nubs, it doesn't take a whole lot to stretch or otherwise damage them or the nylon socket inside.

There is another possibility however. The upper front strut mounts are know to make noises if they are dry. Many times all it takes is an application of grease on the bearings to silence the knocking. Unfortunately the best way to do this is disassembly of the strut. :frown2: Its not difficult to do, more time consuming than anything else.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,439 Posts
When I lowered my car, I initially kept the OEM endlinks in the front and installed the GRP endlinks in the rear only. I later installed the GRP endlinks in the front as well, and they work great. Much better than the originals. I would definitely get some adjustable endlinks for the front of your car, if I were you.

Once lowered, the OEM endlinks become too long and they start applying pressure to your front sway bar, pushing it upwards, which will have an affect on the stance of the car. Angling the front up slightly. The endlinks are also really tight in there..lots of pressure on the bolts and linkage. Taking the pressure off of the front sway bar improved handling and road feel for me. I also can see more of the road in front of me as the hood isn't sitting up as high as it did with the OEMs. That was a nice bonus to discover when I got in the car for the first time after.
CK

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first guess was the strut mount because one of them did sort of fall apart on me when I took off the stock strut mounts, but I just put back the little metal balls back in place, and put it back together and it look greased enough cuz my hands got greasy when putting back the balls into their spots.

Thanks both of yall yeah I guess I will give it a go to change the front endlinks with moog for now, good quality and low price
and yeah I am getting new kyb tophats (strut mounts) too for my front struts.
I since those are the two that are most likely to make the noise or start making noise after lowering the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I went through with the moog front endlinks to replace the oem ones and the clunking noises are finally gone :yay: :cheers:
now I can drive with a piece of mind when I am driving on local streets.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I lowered my car, I initially kept the OEM endlinks in the front and installed the GRP endlinks in the rear only. I later installed the GRP endlinks in the front as well, and they work great. Much better than the originals. I would definitely get some adjustable endlinks for the front of your car, if I were you.

Once lowered, the OEM endlinks become too long and they start applying pressure to your front sway bar, pushing it upwards, which will have an affect on the stance of the car. Angling the front up slightly. The endlinks are also really tight in there..lots of pressure on the bolts and linkage. Taking the pressure off of the front sway bar improved handling and road feel for me. I also can see more of the road in front of me as the hood isn't sitting up as high as it did with the OEMs. That was a nice bonus to discover when I got in the car for the first time after.
CK
I will keep this in mind and get adjustable front end links in the future if these moog endlinks go bad too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine did the same - I ended up replacing the front strut mount and it fixed the issue. There's still a noise from the rear though - i ordered new endlinks so we'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts