2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was trying to go back to stock suspension and I didn't expect to have any issues since installing coilovers went so easily.

Anyways, I first had a problem getting the strut back into the knuckle, so I read people using the coin trick but instead of using a coin in used a solid metal bracket.

So now, the 17mm bolt that goes on the back of the knuckle doesn't want to thread back because the knuckle seems to be crooked or bent from that trick.

Is there any way to get the knuckle straight? I tried to hammer it and c-clamp it shut but it broke. Do I need to buy a whole knuckle assembly? If so, does a Gen 1 fit on a Gen 2? Please let me know. Thanks.

·
The New CWP 3
496 Posts
I think that @color0 is the person you're looking for! If he's not then maybe he'll know someone!! Hopefully you find out what you need soon!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what i though..damn.

Would i be ok to drive normally with them the way it is now? I reinstalled the coilovers, it seems to be ok as long as i dont go airborne or something.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Considering all the weight on that corner of the car is riding on that strut then no I wouldnt recommend driving it. If it decides to give way that corner of your car will fall and break who knows what else aside from possibly causing an accident and hurting/killing you/others

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered the knuckle on ebay..hopefully it gets in quick.

Any tips on getting the stock strut into the knuckle without doing that coin trick?

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I don't think it's possible to break the knuckle using the coin trick is it? I punched a hole through 50c and my knuckle was still just barely loose enough to press the strut out.

I'd take another look at the knuckle you have already, often the bolt just doesn't go in easily but with patience it happens...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I just ordered the knuckle on ebay..hopefully it gets in quick.

Any tips on getting the stock strut into the knuckle without doing that coin trick?
What I did was cut down a harbor freight chisel and hammer it in the slot from the bottom until it opened up enough for the strut to drop in. It's cheap and easy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think it's possible to break the knuckle using the coin trick is it? I punched a hole through 50c and my knuckle was still just barely loose enough to press the strut out.

I'd take another look at the knuckle you have already, often the bolt just doesn't go in easily but with patience it happens...
I may have went a little overboard because I used the black strut metal brace that goes under the 3 bolts on the top strut mount, I had it laying around since I needed to take them off for my strutbar brace to fit. It was pretty thick and I guess it made the left side a little crooked so the bolt doesn't line up.

·
The Turbo Guy
205 Posts
Can you post pictures?

I normally jack the control arm up until the knuckle sticks on the strut. I then install the wheel and slowly lower the corner until the strut is fully inserted.

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
I used the same method as Joey, AKA the Corksport method

-Grease the strut and knuckle generously and insert the knuckle into the strut bottom by jacking up the LCA
(If you can get the knuckle in all the way by jacking the LCA, then there is no need do the next steps)
-Make sure the bolt hook on the strut is in between the pinch bolt threads on the knuckle
-Once it is inserted to the point where it is straight and wont fall out under its own weight, install the wheel
-Lower the car onto the wheel and the knuckle should seat on the strut bottom nicely (you will hear a pop)
-Raise that side of the car again and install the 17mm bolt

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did try that corksport method on the opposite side after I messed up the coin trick and it didnt work for me for some reason..that's when I just gave up and decided to just call it the day..maybe my car wants to stay on coilovers..haha.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In need of some more help..I just got the new knuckle but im having trouble getting the lower ball joint back into the new knuckle..is there a way to get it in? It came off my original knuckle pretty easily but on the new one it seems to be stuck in the middle.

I put everything back together and thought i could press it in using the weight of the car but that didnt work.

Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
In need of some more help..I just got the new knuckle but im having trouble getting the lower ball joint back into the new knuckle..is there a way to get it in? It came off my original knuckle pretty easily but on the new one it seems to be stuck in the middle.

I put everything back together and thought i could press it in using the weight of the car but that didnt work.

Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks.
Put a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up into the knuckle

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive tried that as well when i was inserting the coilover into the knuckle.

Not sure if i should get a c-clamp and try that as well.

·
The Turbo Guy
205 Posts
Anyone ever have this issue with the lower ball joint not going into the knuckle?
If you were able to install the knuckle onto the strut, then properly align the ball joint shank with the hole before jacking up the control arm. You could also lubricate with anti-seize. If the shank is misaligned, then the jack or weight of the car won't be enough force. This is assuming you didn't buy the wrong part off ebay.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update, i was able to use a ball joint press to get it into the knuckle..i think all the rust from the part i bought made it harder to push it in. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts