2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Strut replacement for Mazda3 - suggestions?

19K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  CerealKiller 
#1 ·
I have a Mazda3 2011 HB 2.5L mileage around 118k.
My front struts have signs of oil leak. There's no rattling or noise, but I want to change them before it gets worse.
I need suggestions as what are the best options (brand, model, where to buy).
I use the car for regular driving, nothing fancy or spirited.
If with not much $ difference from the regular ones I can get something better than OEM, I'd be interested.

Do I need to change to coilovers as well (just curious)? or they don't need to be changed?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
sorry for late reply, you only need to replace the strut, you can keep the stock spring assuming you are staying stock height, and not lowering.. The strut is the thing that is leaking, but you may or may not want new tophats or strut mount too, I replaced my struts and springs with koni yellows and lowering springs but my tophats (strut mount assembly) seems to be giving out now, maybe cannot handle the new spring rate or just getting old and making noise.
I recommend the brands kyb, or monroe for OEM like performance.

#3 ·
Hey -hope im replying directly to your reply,, im a forum noob tbh- im hearing horrible bouncy squeeks coming from what sounds like my front driver side suspension.. nobody neither myself or mechanics have been able to distinguish where the noise is coming from.. what did you hear when your strut mounts went bad?

#4 ·
If strut mounts or struts goes bad, it wont be a loud sound, maybe some minor clunking sounds going over some bumps.
but if you hear louder or lots of clunking sounds its possible it can be endlinks also going bad.
I just replaced both strut mounts + the front endlinks and no more clunking sounds are coming from the front end. (note I already upgraded my struts and springs to koni yellows with lowering springs.)

And yeah the clunking was never there until after I lowered my car (old oem junk endlinks and strut mounts might not handle the new sportier struts and higher spring rate from the lowering springs)

#18 ·
Just installed the Koni Special Actives.. they work amazing on my lowered ride that has a pretty aggressive negative camber. For a stock DD you will be super happy with them. I got mine from tirerack. Arrived in 2 days in perfect condition and they were on sale..
CK

#19 ·
My front struts have signs of oil leak. There's no rattling or noise, but I want to change them before it gets worse.
If with not much $ difference from the regular ones I can get something better than OEM, I'd be interested.

Do I need to change to coilovers as well (just curious)? or they don't need to be changed?

Thanks
Koni's are on sale 20% off until 6/30/20.

#22 ·

Thanks
If you only do daily driving, go kya with new top hats and you can reuse the existing springs. Monroe does offer a complete strut replacement but I had a Monroe and the strut blew after 14 months, don't have many potholes where I live and no aggressive driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.