2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
TM3 Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticing that after installing road magnets (and konis), the strut mount bearing wears out very quickly and leads to clunking (particularly over bumps)? My friend is soon to be on his third bearing and i am on my second. Our mechanic did mention that it will keep wearing out with these particular springs although i cannot relay the particulars to you guys as i am not well versed on suspension geometry and the like. Just wondering if not cutting the bump stops would have any effect on this?

I am have 1.75" drop and he has the 1.25" version; we are both on koni yellows.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I fail to see how RM springs could cause accelerated wear to the upper mounts. Are you sure it's not caused by the way your uninstalling or installing the upper mounts. What are you torquing the 17mm nut and 14mm bolts to? Are you maxing out the neg camber or are you placing the mount in the center of the upper strut housing? People here have been running road magnets on this forum since 2010. This is the first I've heard of this accelerated wear issue.

You really do need to relay the particulars for this to be a credible complaint.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I agree with warlord. Has to be something to do with installation error or crazy alignment settings. Ive had 20 year old cars that have been lowered for over 5 years and still on original strut bearings.

Theres a mark on the top mount that has to be lined up with the tab on the strut that goes toward the inside. If thats wrong Im sure the bearings wont like it too much

·
Registered
703 Posts
Something doesn't sound right too. Upon removal of the strut bearing, did they open up and the loose bearings spill out. And if so were they assembled correctly? I know one time mine did and I accidently but the bearing races back wrong which caused binding. Luckly I figured it out immediately and fixed it. Also make sure all the bearings are put back and greased properly.

Reactions: warlord
1 - 4 of 4 Posts