2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dealer is working on my lock cylinder issue and I have a rental 3. Everytime I get a Mazda for a rental I'm excited! I've had Neon, a Focus, etc. as rental and Mazda's are much better.

My current rental is a 2.0 with the five speed auto in Mazda's basic trim. It has power windows and A/C, but there are no power door locks or remote fob (unless Enterprise took it away). I hear you can get a even more base car with no A/C but who'd want one?

It's a great car for commuting with a flatter seats and I expect high gas mielage. I miss the more sculpted seat in my 3s 2.5 and the power. The 2.0 merges less quickly on the highway especially with the five speed auto. It's also missing traction and stability control. The drivers seat is much flatter and allows you to move around more. I prefer the sportier seats in the 3s. And the 3s is a much better handling car with the 17 inch performance rubber.

I considered the 3 Touring with a five speed manual. However, I'm glad I was able to get the 3s with the six speed and 2.5. I'll appreciate it even more coming from a base rental Mazda.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I own an i Touring 5 speed manual, and I just rented a 3 i Touring auto from Thrifty...same color and everything (just happened that way, weird). The auto saps a lot of power from this engine, unfortunately. The 5spd feels sprightly, whereas the auto just feels like it has a small engine. At least its smooth tho!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 02 Protege with a 2.0 felt sprightly with it's five speed manual. I think the i Touring with a 5 speed is a good way to go. And I expect you're getting great mielage.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The transmision makes all of the difference in my opinion, and the smaller the engine the bigger the impact. I've driven cars with pretty gutless powerplants, but still found them to be more enjoyable to drive than a more powerful car with a slush-box simply because I could wring every last pony out of the car and keep it in the power/torque band.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 02 Protege ES was a great car with the five speed manual. Put out 130 horsepower from its 2.0 and wasn't the quickest car. It did have amazing handling and felt sprightly with the five speed manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts