2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I’m also curious because there doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer because it varies by car, but when adjusting rear height obviously the height is changed by adjusting the collar on the spring but then I assume you need to adjust the shock some amount as well to match the change in height so the strut doesn’t bottom out or stretch too far. I only had to bring the rear perch up by 1/2 inch so I assume I wouldn’t have to adjust the strut very much.

·
Super Moderator
6,297 Posts
I’m also curious because there doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer because it varies by car, but when adjusting rear height obviously the height is changed by adjusting the collar on the spring but then I assume you need to adjust the shock some amount as well to match the change in height so the strut doesn’t bottom out or stretch too far. I only had to bring the rear perch up by 1/2 inch so I assume I wouldn’t have to adjust the strut very much.
What coil overs? Something from BC no doubt?? Most coil overs that have adjustable length bodies are just that, threaded tubes to adjust the length of the shock body. The internal working parts don't change size. Shock travel is limited to the shortest adjustment of the shock body, no way around that. Thats why those generic one size fits all adjustable dampers are not recommended despite the all spectacular manufacturer claims.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What coil overs? Something from BC no doubt?? Most coil overs that have adjustable length bodies are just that, threaded tubes to adjust the length of the shock body. The internal working parts don't change size. Shock travel is limited to the shortest adjustment of the shock body, no way around that. Thats why those generic one size fits all adjustable dampers are not recommended despite the all spectacular manufacturer claims.
They’re actually Megan racing. I know people aren’t keen on all the china brands of coils like these and I would’ve gone with BC but my budget was a tight. I’ve ran Megans on a few cars with no issues so for the price I figured they were just fine. I wouldn’t really describe them as generic one size fits all though... since they are vehicle specific.

But what it sounds like you’re saying is that it really doesn’t matter if the shock body is adjusted?

·
Super Moderator
6,297 Posts
They’re actually Megan racing. I know people aren’t keen on all the china brands of coils like these and I would’ve gone with BC but my budget was a tight. I’ve ran Megans on a few cars with no issues so for the price I figured they were just fine. I wouldn’t really describe them as generic one size fits all though... since they are vehicle specific.

But what it sounds like you’re saying is that it really doesn’t matter if the shock body is adjusted?
Who do you think makes the Megan Racing coil overs, and where do you think BC Racing is? :laugh2: BC produces a lot of those Chinese things that are sold under a bunch of different names.
Vehicle specific? Not really. Not as much as you might think. If they were actually produced to be vehicle specific you wouldn't need to adjust it for proper length etc. it would just bolt on with no issues.

The adjustable shock body is just a tube with threads that allows you to set the length to fit the car. The actual working internals are not adjustable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Who do you think makes the Megan Racing coil overs, and where do you think BC Racing is? /forums/images/Mazda3Revolution_2014/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png BC produces a lot of those Chinese things that are sold under a bunch of different names.
Vehicle specific? Not really. Not as much as you might think. If they were actually produced to be vehicle specific you wouldn't need to adjust it for proper length etc. it would just bolt on with no issues.

The adjustable shock body is just a tube with threads that allows you to set the length to fit the car. The actual working internals are not adjustable.
I mean they did bolt on with no issues, haha. I’m completely aware of who makes what and where these other brands fall under the umbrella of aftermarket suspension brands. The only thing I’m saying is that when I put the suspension on, the rear sat too low so I adjusted the height upwards by way of lengthening the collars that sit on top of the rear spring. I was just under the impression that the shock body had to be extended to compensate for the change in ride height. I would imagine it’s adjustable for a reason, even if it only changes the external length of the shock body and not anything to do with the internals.

While the vehicle application may not be completely specific I would imagine you still wouldn’t want the shock length to be really short and have the ride heigh up all the way because the shock may not be able to fully compress or vice versa.

And just to clarify by no means am I claiming to know exactly what I’m talking about. I am a firm believer in that there is always more to learn no matter how much you know. I want to learn, that’s all.

·
Super Moderator
6,297 Posts
While the vehicle application may not be completely specific I would imagine you still wouldn’t want the shock length to be really short and have the ride height up all the way because the shock may not be able to fully compress or vice versa.
Yeah, you would think so....:surprise: However, the internal are fixed length on these. If you shorten them up or extend the length too much you do run the risk of have little travel in one direction and you will destroy the shock in short order. Again, this is why its best to use dampers that are designed to fit the car as bolt on replacements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same struggle a week or so ago.
That stock shock had basically become one unit with the bolt.
Ended up cutting the outer ring of the sock off, then stripping the rubber and making a flat spot on the remaining piece so that I could use vise pliers. Even then had to heat the whole thing for 20 minutes to get it start moving.
Replaced with bolts of appropriate length...
Looked like this after removal:

·
Registered
325 Posts
What with Mazda and their suspension design. Many people had problem removing the struts from the knuckles on the 2nd gen. It required some 2x4 and a heavy duty hammer to just loosen them up. Now we have this long bolt with a tiny head. It took me a long time to remove these bolts too and my car was like brand new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently did my rear shocks. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I ended up using an angle grinder to fit a socket and an impact wrench helped me remove this.
Replaced the bolt with a new one from Mazda.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Burn the bushing out and slide the damper off the inner sleeve. Use a pipe wrench to remove the bushing sleeve and stud. Replace the stud with a bolt and washer. I was replacing the springs at the same time, so this may not work with the springs installed. I can get the thread size & pitch and length tomorrow if necessary.

Reactions: mazdee

·
Registered
77 Posts
I recently did my rear shocks. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I ended up using an angle grinder to fit a socket and an impact wrench helped me remove this.
Replaced the bolt with a new one from Mazda.

View attachment 279045 View attachment 279046
Do you happen to have a part # or some kind of measurements for that stud bolt? I'm tackling my shocks soon, and would like to have spares of this part on hand, but absolutely can't find it in any parts catalog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you happen to have a part # or some kind of measurements for that stud bolt? I'm tackling my shocks soon, and would like to have spares of this part on hand, but absolutely can't find it in any parts catalog.
I purchased the bolt from Mazda. They weren't expensive but just took time to arrive.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts