2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to install my new coilovers today and ended up stripping the 8mm end of the pin that goes in the bottom of the rear strut. I couldn't slide it off either. I saw a couple threads saying you have to remove that pin to remove the strut, what can I do now? I'm honestly considering just sending the coilovers back and throwing in the towel. I can't stand when cars have stupid little things like this that make what would otherwise be the easiest job. I considered using one of those easy out bits or whatever their called since I have one that supposedly fits an 8mm but it wasn't really sitting firmly on the now-stripped end of the pin.

·
Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
If you mean the hex head on the end of the stud stripped out, just grab it with a pair of vice grips and see if it will move. If you get it out just replace it with a normal bolt.
The only other choice is remove the spring to slide the shock off the stud.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try to slide the strut off of it but it wouldn't budge at all. I tried wedging a bar between the strut and any hard surface underneath the car I could find with no avail, even after blasting it with penetrating fluid. Sigh. Also I was using an impact when the stud stripped. Specifically a 1/2 inch drive massive impact gun. Needless to say that stud is now round and no longer an 8mm head. It didn't budge even slightly.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was trying to install my new coilovers today and ended up stripping the 8mm end of the pin that goes in the bottom of the rear strut. I couldn't slide it off either. I saw a couple threads saying you have to remove that pin to remove the strut, what can I do now? I'm honestly considering just sending the coilovers back and throwing in the towel. I can't stand when cars have stupid little things like this that make what would otherwise be the easiest job. I considered using one of those easy out bits or whatever their called since I have one that supposedly fits an 8mm but it wasn't really sitting firmly on the now-stripped end of the pin.
I am not following, the bottom one is bigger than 8mm, the top one is more likely 8mm, the one that holds the damper to the top mount. Regardless, try what arathol said, i could not take the enlinks nuts out either a few days back, is annoying cause like you say, something simple becomes a royal PITA, but do not give up man. Take it to a shop if you cant take it out.:rockon 1:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not following, the bottom one is bigger than 8mm, the top one is more likely 8mm, the one that holds the damper to the top mount. Regardless, try what arathol said, i could not take the enlinks nuts out either a few days back, is annoying cause like you say, something simple becomes a royal PITA, but do not give up man. Take it to a shop if you cant take it out.:rockon 1:

I'm not talking about the nut that holds the bottom of the rear strut to the pin. I am talking about the pin that goes through the hole on the bottom of the rear strut. On the end there is an 8MM hex bit/head you need an 8MM socket to remove the pin to take out the rear strut.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am not following, the bottom one is bigger than 8mm, the top one is more likely 8mm, the one that holds the damper to the top mount. Regardless, try what arathol said, i could not take the enlinks nuts out either a few days back, is annoying cause like you say, something simple becomes a royal PITA, but do not give up man. Take it to a shop if you cant take it out.

I'm not talking about the nut that holds the bottom of the rear strut to the pin. I am talking about the pin that goes through the hole on the bottom of the rear strut. On the end there is an 8MM hex bit/head you need an 8MM socket to remove the pin to take out the rear strut.
Got you now, I didn’t remove that pin, you can slide the struts out with out removing it, that’s how I did mine. Take the 2 bolts on top out first, compress the strut and slide it at the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
On my car there isn't enough room between the end of the stud and the spring to get the damper off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The strut just won’t come off. It is completely stuck. I’m not sure what else to do. Could I cut the bottom of the strut and just remove it from the pin that way?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I’m gonna go grab an angle grinder and cut it. I started with a sawzall but didn’t want to damage the stud so I’m going grinder for precision. This should turn out well. I can already picture loading the car up on the towtruck to go to a real mechanic. You’d think after doing so many coilover installs you’d be a pro by now but then Mazda throws you a curveball.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The strut just won’t come off. It is completely stuck. I’m not sure what else to do. Could I cut the bottom of the strut and just remove it from the pin that way?
Well, you won’t reuse it so go for it, be careful don’t pinch the dampers, the have gasses inside but you know this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update again: rear strut is out. So what happened here is the strut came loose from the bearing inside. The strut was chopped on either side of the ring that surrounds the bearing and I hacked away at the bearing until it came free. It was EXTREMELY STUCK. I did a number on the bolt while I was in there which I knew would happen but it still seems to be thread-able. I ordered a used spindle off ebay just now in case it doesn’t work out since this bolt is never coming out of here. Pic of dead bearing:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
I ordered a used spindle off ebay just now in case it doesn’t work out since this bolt is never coming out of here. Pic of dead bearing:
Never say never. A little bit of heat and it will come right out. They are not in there real tight. :surprise:
When you re assemble it, use never seize......:001_tongue:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
REARS ARE DONE! ? so I ended up doing the same thing on the passenger side except the pin started coming out when I tried to hammer the bearing off, so I ended up just taking the pin off and basically surgically removing the bearing. Now that that’s over I can do the front. God I’m tired. Here’s a pic of the mess and the mazda

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
Its sort of a bump stop. It keeps the suspension parts from hitting things they aren't intended to hit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IT’S DONE! Wow, I started at 9 am today and just finished everything now at 7:30 pm. Garage is cleaned up, tools away, car on the ground, life is good. My back hurts though... Ignore the horrible paint match on my front bumper, PO probably swiped something and had it repainted cheaply.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts