2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks, Aaron here. This is my first time posting to the forum. I bought an '08 Hatch w/2.3 manual trans. It has Goodyear Eagle Sports on it. Totally stock, otherwise. I've been around numerous forms of motorsport, as crew, for most of my life. After getting the car, I scored a good deal on a trackday at the Streets of Willow. What an amazing experience. For $89.00, I got to drive 94 miles of track. The crowd was great and my little car impressed the hell out of me. I've always eyeballed Mazdas, but finally owning one is a game changer. I'm pretty new to driving a FWD hard. I've owned a ton of RWD cars and a bunch of sport bikes. This tuner/import thing is kind of new to me. Running the track CW, my fastest lap was a 1:40.732. This put me at 9th fast, out of 25 cars. So now the questions. Keep in mind, I'm 44 y.o., and have a solid working knowledge of motorsports.
1.)Tire pressure. Ambient temp was from 34F to 48F. Going out at 36psi, turn-in was solid but by the apex, I felt like I was rolling the sides. pressure coming off the track was up to 40psi. Going out at 40psi, felt loose to me. I felt like the rear wanted to oversteer, even when braking in a straight line (mostly straight:laugh2:). Any input here?
2.) The final corner is a 2nd gear , 180 right. I changed braking and acceleration points throughout the day, but kept experiencing tire spin on the exit. The right front would spin hard and keep spinning if I didn't modulate. I tried to late apex and square-up the corner but if I didn't carry enough speed, the poor thing didn't feel like it had enough poop to carry onto the main straight. Is there an LSD available for this trans?
3.) RSB. I know having a larger RSB is a mod I need, and this seems like there area with the most well thought-out mods. I have no desire to lower and coilover and camber plate.......blah blah blah. Just looking for a few very basic mods. What is the most common RSB, that will not be super radical? Don't worry, tires and brakes are first on my list.
I can't wait to go out again!!!! It was impressive to watch the horsepower guys go by in the straights only to pull back onto their bumpers in the first turn or two.

Attachments

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
I just did my first HPDE in November. I dropped down my pressure to 30ish cold. It got up to 36 after the sessions. I don't have enough experience other than to keep playing with temps to find what you like. Maybe have a different front/rear setting?

As for RSBs, even a takeoff OEM Mazdaspeed 3 bar will make a difference. I've got a Whiteline rsb and I like it a lot. Not too aggressive where I'm losing the back end. But it feels super planted.

Obviously the biggest difference will be tires. What are you running?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tires

It has Goodyear Eagle Sports. They are an All-Season. They are the tires that were on there when I got it. As soon as I can, I want a set of wheels/tires for track days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts