2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Thought I would share what i have found out regarding using Street Unit's Top Mount Intercooler on the 2010 MS3.

StreetUnit Top Mount Bar & Plate Intercooler: MAZDASPEED 6, MAZDASPEED 3

According to Mark with Street Unit:

"The one we have works. We just don’t give you a shroud if you have a 2010."

"The stock shroud will not work. The hood seal will sit on top of the TMIC when the hood is closed."

"The computer will not need to be tuned and it will not cause a CEL."

I will be picking one of these suckers up in the near future, I have already heat soaked the stock one, and it was 24f outside! Not looking foward to when it actually gets hot.

And discuss...........

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think I am going to wait for a FM. Corksport, you guys said your FMIC won't require taking off that bracing bar like that other one that's already out for the 2010 right?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was thinking about getting that SU TMIC at one point...but it's still a top mount...so it's still going to be sitting on top of a hot hot engine...and hot air rises.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know hot air rises, but a fmic adds feet of piping that have to pressurized before boost hits the motor (ie. lag). I am only considering the tmic because of the scoop on the hood. if i had a 1st gen it wouldnt be a consideration.

I feel that since most of the time i use the car to commute and not get creamed by other cars that i would rather have the faster throttle response of the tmic than the greater cooling efficiency of the front mount.

I like the idea of replacing the stock intercooler with one constructed by bar and plate to reduce the resistance. If you look at the stock one on your car and then open that link and look at the replacement you can clearly see the advantage.

besides if at some point i feel like i need greater cooling capacity i will just add a sprayer system to the hood scoop. A sprayer system and new tmic would still be cheaper and easier to install than a fmic. Sport compact car added a sprayer system to one of their cars a few years back for about $25 at a home and garden center.

·
Registered
519 Posts
A well designed FMIC won't create any perceptible lag, will have all of the flow benefits of a Bar & Plate TMIC and our FMIC also has the option of a thermally isolated FRP cold air box that utilizes the factory TMIC shroud and a gigantic flat panel filter for a true ram-air design.

As for ease of installation, a TMIC has us there, no doubt. It's a 15 minute job.

Jason

·
Registered
105 Posts
@Jam480
Did you ever purchase the TMIC? I was looking at getting one as well but haven't really read much user reviews on the 2010

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I have been putting it off. Currently the guys from ETS a top mount that street unit also sells are working on a 2010 specific shroud which should be available towards the end of august. I will be picking that up when it is avaialable.

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
Yup, mid-august I'm gonna be their test dummy for the 2010 specific TMIC.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm assuming the ETS one is better? I just ordered the corksport race pipe and want to get the TMIC next, trying to keep the bolt ons simple til the Cobb AP comes out

·
Registered
238 Posts
my TMIC from ETS will be delivered tomorrow, woo hooo. They have the new one, with shroud, and i got it in blue. I hear different stories from everyone. Most do say not to put a FMIC on. I will keep you informed on install time, and performance.:)

·
Registered
238 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts