2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rain is falling in Portland, and I'm using my wipers from time to time again. My Safelite windshield was installed 3 or 4 months ago; at that time I applied Aquapel (product similar to RainX) on the glass, the few times I used the original wipers there were no problems.

I installed a set of Bosch Icon wiper blades about a month ago. The last few days, I've noticed the blades are sometimes skipping/ shuddering across the glass. No rhyme nor reason, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes on the upstroke, sometimes on the downstroke. I've cleaned the glass really well, there is no dirt or film on it. I cleaned the rubber on blades with dishwashing soap, but it didn't help. I tried cleaning the rubber with alcohol, but that didn't eliminate the problem either.

Never had this problem before, not sure if it's the blades or the glass. I'm positive the Aquapel treatment is wearing off, so I'm going to get some more. But I don't think new blades on a fairly new windshield should be skipping at all. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I too am thinking the blades, and would replace themand personally not use Aquapel for a while. As for your windshield, I would get some 4-0 steel wool and again use alcohol and re-do it. Hope that works.

I have had my windshield replaced three different times by Safelite and never a problem of any kind (real satisfied every time).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for feedback! Clayed the glass this morning and recleaned with Stoners Invisible Glass. Found my wiper blade receipt last night, and if the problem persists, will be taking them back to store for replacement.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just an update, apparently the problem was not with the blades. Even though the windshield appeared clean with no wiper smearing/road film evident, I decided to machine polish the glass with CeriGlass and Griot's glass polishing pad.

No more wiper skipping/ shuddering! As previously mentioned, my coating of Aquapel (RainX on steroids) was starting to wear off, and perhaps the blades were moving across areas with varying levels of the coating, causing the problem. Not going to use any glass treatments for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts