2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I just purchased a A/T 2012 Mazda 3 I touring hatchback about 2 weeks ago. I love it so far for the most part, however I noticed a deep sounding rumble/humming noise upon acceleration coming from the engine mostly between 1500-2000 rpm in 4th and 5th gears.

When this sound is occurring its almost as if the car doesn't want to accelerate, my speed and tach barely move despite me having the pedal depressed almost halfway down. Its as if the engine is bogging down and its only when I depress the accelerator more than halfway that the rpms will jump to 2,400 and the car will sound normal again.

I took it to a dealership as its still under the power train warranty but they want $130 just to "diagnose" the issue. This sound is different than the gurgling type sound that seems to be common in skyactiv engines.

Is this normal for the skyactiv engines? Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Call Mazda directly and tell them dealership is charging for a diagnostic fee.

Trust me they will make sure it gets seen without any fee.

800-222-5500
Select Prompt 2, then Ext. 1176
His name is Christoper

If he doesn't answer just call the 800 number and wait for a rep and tell them your situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply and the info!

I talked to Mazda USA earlier today through their online chat feature and the Mazda rep. told me that it is common for dealerships to charge a diagnostic fee but then the diagnostic fee would be refunded if the problem they identified was covered under a Mazda warranty.

The way he explained it to me via chat made it sound like its a common practice that Mazda knows about and that the fee won't be waived. Hopefully the Mazda rep. I talked to is wrong.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply and the info!

I talked to Mazda USA earlier today through their online chat feature and the Mazda rep. told me that it is common for dealerships to charge a diagnostic fee but then the diagnostic fee would be refunded if the problem they identified was covered under a Mazda warranty.

The way he explained it to me via chat made it sound like its a common practice that Mazda knows about and that the fee won't be waived. Hopefully the Mazda rep. I talked to is wrong.
I wonder if they'll diagnostic my iA :]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Call Mazda directly and tell them dealership is charging for a diagnostic fee.

Trust me they will make sure it gets seen without any fee.

800-222-5500
Select Prompt 2, then Ext. 1176
His name is Christoper

If he doesn't answer just call the 800 number and wait for a rep and tell them your situation.
I tried to call Christopher but had to leave him a voicemail. Hoping he can get the fee waived for me somehow. I could understand the diagnostic fee for an issue that had nothing to do with the power train warranty but it definitely seems that i'm having an engine issue. The dealership refused to waive the fee since they don't know what part of the car is causing the problem.

Has anyone ever got the diagostic fee waived or have an idea whats causing my issues?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So just another update: I spoke with a rep. from Mazda USA and they said Mazda cannot force a dealer to waive their diagnostic fee since each dealer is independently owned and operated. Looks like for now, i'm either stuck paying the fee or not getting the issue looked at. They said the dealer could charge any fee they wanted for diagnostics and Mazda has no control over that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A) What is the car's milage at? B) do you do your own basic maintenance? I'd stop by a NAPA store and pick up a can of Liqui Moly Valve Cleaner pour it into a 1/2 to 3/4 full tank of gas. Run you car thru that tank. Or stop by Advanced Auto
store and get a can of Chevron Techtron complete fuel system cleaner. Pour it into your 1/2 to 3/4 full tank and run that down. See if at highway speed you still have this unique issue/ sound.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A) What is the car's milage at? B) do you do your own basic maintenance? I'd stop by a NAPA store and pick up a can of Liqui Moly Valve Cleaner pour it into a 1/2 to 3/4 full tank of gas. Run you car thru that tank. Or stop by Advanced Auto
store and get a can of Chevron Techtron complete fuel system cleaner. Pour it into your 1/2 to 3/4 full tank and run that down. See if at highway speed you still have this unique issue/ sound.
The car has about 45,500 miles on it so far. I do perform my own maintenance but havent done anything on the car yet. It was sitting on the dealers lot for about 2 months before I purchased it and I thought maybe the sound could result from it sitting, but I would think the sound would have gone away by now. Thats a good idea about the cleaner, I did read a few places that a fuel additive stopped some sounds that could be similar to mine. I would try it but I heard that fuel additives can void the Mazda power train warranty, though not sure how a dealer would know they were used previously.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to give everyone an update: I went to a local dealer and of course the hunming noise went away despite it making the noise just yesterday. I went for a ride with a tech but still could not hear the noise. It seems to be more apparent in certain road surfaces.

As for the slow acceleration in 5th gear, the tech said that is a common complaint with the 2.0 skyactiv engine. He said he will reflash the PCM which should solve the 5th gear slow acceleration issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts