2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been noticing a strange noise coming from around the trunk area (I have a sedan) and it only happens when I go over a bump of some sort. It sounds like something is vibrating when i go over bumps and can't figure out what it is. At first I thought it was the jack (stored on the side of the trunk) that was vibrating against the body of the car when I hit a bump, but it is not (I removed the jack and drove without it this morning with noise still appearing).

The sounds could also be described as creaking.

I've read a review on edmunds recently where consumer was referencing a similar noise and thought it was coming from the spare tire area.

Any idea or suggestions or what it could be?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It kind of does sound like a subtle metal creak, but it could be Styrofoam. I will try removing/putting something underneath the styrofoam and see if it takes care of the noise.

I rarely have anyone ride with me in the car so its hard to get back there while I am driving and try to point in the direction of the noise. Whenever my wife rides with me, she hears nothing...but she never hears anything even when her compliance bushing are making popping and rattling noises lol.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Does it come from a specific side? How many miles do you have?

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
probably an alien trapped in there.

but seriously, check the spare tire?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Iv got the same deal. Ill be messing about to get to the bottom of it soon enough.

Note 26k on it.

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have only 2,700 miles; practically new and its really hard to tell which side the noise is coming from. I think its more prevalent on the driver's side.

I may as well just take out the spare tire to see if the noise goes away. Watch it be my luck that when I take the spare out for one day, I will get a flat tire lol.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Well reason I say this is sometimes Mazda has come out with some bad shocks for example my mom has a MZ5 and she at 18k had the rear shocks already blew out. And when they blew it sounded horrible and at first thought it was the spare tire or things moving around in the trunk!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well reason I say this is sometimes Mazda has come out with some bad shocks for example my mom has a MZ5 and she at 18k had the rear shocks already blew out. And when they blew it sounded horrible and at first thought it was the spare tire or things moving around in the trunk!
Oh hell. Well luckily it is more of a rattle sound for me.
It almost sounds like it is the rear window meeting the trunk with a chatter.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
I have a weird sound too but its more like high squeel like metal on metal sound and also only happens when I go over imperfections on the road. Getting annoying. Going to take everything out of the car and hopefully its just something I have in the car haha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, the noise descriptions you provided are exactly what I have; just could find words to describe it properly. All I can say is that it is not the jack because i removed it and there is still noise. My next step is to remove the spare...

Let me know if you get the noise eliminated by removing/insulating something else.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
I also found out there seems to be something loose in my hatch..sounds like a nut or a washer or something rolling around when I open/close the hatch.

I'm just going to bring mine in to the dealer and have them take care of it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here is an idea, get one of your friends and put them in your trunk or hatch and drive around for a bit. lol

Find a place where you know it does it and try to make the sound happen.

Or if you value your friendship, take it to the dealer but they will probably say they could not replicate the problem...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The wing isn't loose is it? I think I read on here someone had a similar issue and their wing was loose. So far no noise from my car. I no longer hear the rattling noise in the front now that the temps have warmed up :).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure about the spoiler being loose. I tried to move it around a little bit but it didn't seem loose; just a normal movement.

However, I think I might have fixed the issue. I will hold off on posting pictures of the source of this culprit until I am driving back from work. It was raining this morning on my way to work and I couldn't hear much.

If I hear nothing on my way back home, I will post pics and describe what I did to fix it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to get anyone's hopes up, but my attempt to fix the annoying clicking/ticking sound did not work.

Could it be a similar issue as with the front windshield cowl but on the back? I am at a loss here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Squeaking!

Yes, I've experience the same in my 6 day old Mazda 3 GS-Sky!
I've yet to troubleshoot, but I'm 99% positive it's the styrofoam insert around the spare tire. The high pitched squeak sounds exactly like styrofoam rubbing against metal. Not sure if it's the rub against the car itself or the tools fitted into the styrofoam.

If this is indeed the case Mazda has to do something. I will definitely let Mazda know via their website and dealer and hopefully they do some sort of replacement in the future. I was really disappointed to see that I didn't have the great storage system that was in the previous Mazda 3.

:argh 1:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I've experience the same in my 6 day old Mazda 3 GS-Sky!
I've yet to troubleshoot, but I'm 99% positive it's the styrofoam insert around the spare tire. The high pitched squeak sounds exactly like styrofoam rubbing against metal. Not sure if it's the rub against the car itself or the tools fitted into the styrofoam.

If this is indeed the case Mazda has to do something. I will definitely let Mazda know via their website and dealer and hopefully they do some sort of replacement in the future. I was really disappointed to see that I didn't have the great storage system that was in the previous Mazda 3.

:argh 1:
I haven't tried removing the foam pieces with all the tools and stuff. But will remove tonight and will see if it makes the noise on my way to work tomorrow.

If someone figures this, please post about your success (hopefully).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts