2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car has been making the strangest, most cringey metal-on-metal scraping noise, coming from the rear of the car. The noise doesn't occur while the brakes are being applied, but rather when the car comes to a complete stop, or when accelerating. Seems to be caused by the body weight shifting significant enough for something to roll around in the fuel tank or possibly the muffler...

The problem I'm having is that the exhaust has been checked by a shop, and everything seems to be intact and functioning as it should! I have also had another shop try to diagnose the issue, and we came to the conclusion that we should drop the tank to see if there was something inside making the noise. This also proved not to be the issue, as everything inside the tank is intact and there was no debris whatsoever!

Here's a short video where you can hear the sound. If anyone has any ideas on where I might troubleshoot next, it'd be greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsbAA9A16t4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe somethings in the exhaust? Try to see if maybe somethings in the exhaust. You can try taking off the axle back and shake it and also drive without it for a bit to see if there's any more noise. If it's not, at least it's one less culprit.

·
Working Class Hero
3,449 Posts
Have you worked on the brakes lately? You may have bent one if the dust shields behind the rotors and it may be rubbing on the rotor.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed, this is what has happened to me on a different vehicle. Horrible scraping grinding noise. The shields have rusted severely so it doesn't take much for them to bend a little and contact the rotors. I just bent them back out of the way a bit.

Lift the vehicle and spin the wheels to see if you can reproduce the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe somethings in the exhaust? Try to see if maybe somethings in the exhaust. You can try taking off the axle back and shake it and also drive without it for a bit to see if there's any more noise. If it's not, at least it's one less culprit.
I'm leaning towards this explanation as well. I'll be pulling the rear-end of the exhaust off this weekend to annoy the neighbors/see if it's maybe a baffle in the muffler that broke free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try the easy fix first. Just sayin.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.
If you mean the brake shields, it's not that. Threw it on stands this weekend and pulled off the wheels. Everything's fine and dandy to that regard. Came across a stubborn bolt on the axle-back exhaust, so gonna need an impact wrench and some elbow grease to pull that off and see if there's something in the muffler...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this exact same issue and I was just about to start pulling the gas tank before finding this post. If someone figures it out, please post the answer here!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 with 112k miles recently started making the noise too- It is most noticeable immediately after stopping, and sounds like an exhaust heat shield rocking back and forth, or really more like a "sloshing" noise. Since looking under the car and trying to wiggle everything didn't turn up any noise, I'm suspecting something inside the gas tank. It really sounds like something metallic moving back and forth as gas in the tank reacts to the stop.

I had recently used a fuel system cleaner, which makes me more suspicious of the gas tank theory. Anyone else have any idea about this being a likely culprit? I'm going to do more research, and I will post again if I come up with anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts