2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went in the garage today to put a tool back and noticed the leaf blower was real close to the 3 because someone was getting something from nearby probably. I figured "uh oh I hope it didn't hit the 3". Anyways it was a bit dark in the garage so I used my flashlight. I saw this like cut on the paint edge. Well it was big enough I didn't think it was from that. Anyways I then noticed from this mark there was literally a perfectly strange line, almost as if it was from a razor blade or something, I thought it was film stuck on the car, right along this line. I'm baffled what this is. I don't see it on the other side so I have no idea. Can't believe a leaf blower or anything accidental caused this one. Notice the missing paint mark lines up exactly with the faint line which you can easily feel with your fingernail so it's a break in the clearcoat or something. Could this be from the factory like a defect or something?

It's like 4 months since I got the car so I don't think this is something I can ask the dealer about.

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
Is the car under warranty? Looks like a problem with the paint. Maybe some damage was repaired before you bought it?

·
Registered
327 Posts
It looks to me like there's a dent / chip at the tire edge and it fades away at the corner of the car, physical damage of some sort likely from gently brushing against something, or something brushing against it.

Kids at home? Possibly a lawnmower wheel or a bike pedal trying to squeeze by? Could even be from an automatic car wash?

It does not look like a warrantable factory defect to me.

Reactions: katho

·
Registered
988 Posts
Is the car under warranty? Looks like a problem with the paint. Maybe some damage was repaired before you bought it?

@grendels_m3, I agree with Arathol here, it looks like some damage was repaired on the front bumper.

3 months after I got my new car, somebody did a hit on run on my front bumper, immediately I got it repaired, they did a great job but not OEM perfect as it's hard to paint match the original color.

Then I noticed that at a certain angle I could see the "shade" of where the damage used to be (I was able to live with it).

When I look at the picture you provided, this is approx. the same image that I see when I look at my car. IMO this is likely what happened to your vehicle as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wait guys. I will recheck the paint but ignore the crappy look of the paint as I used my crappy cell phone camera with flash in a totally dark garage. So ignore that part. I will look again in daylight however.

Thinking about this more it does seem obvious that maybe at the dealership (this was a showroom car) that maybe when they put it in the showroom or something that it brushed by something, initially hitting just ahead of the front wheel, and then getting "better" as it got closer to the front of the car. The thing is the nick in the paint from it hitting something and then fading away gradually as it gets towards the front of the car.

Thinking about this it may even be me pulling the car in the garage and it brushing by some cardboard boxes that were sticking out from under the stairs, I will check the level of the end of them sticking out tonight, but I doubt cardboard made that nick.

I got the car with 9 miles on it. It came off the truck and was in the lot briefly until it came into the showroom. Obviously at 9 miles on the odometer when I got it probably had one at most test drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts