1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
211 Posts
Saw this earlier in the day!! This is amazing news!! Big things coming down the road for sure!

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Don't count your chickens just yet....
The most likely recipient of the straight 6 motors will be the BT-50 pick-up that is rumored to be finally making its way to the US. There has also been talk of a 5 cylinder diesel.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
First time I have seen any mention of EVs in Mazda's future.

No mention of their joint venture US factory with Toyota.

Maybe the straight six could be for a halo model. Bet it would fit nice under the long hood of the Vision Coupe

Oh look , just saw this when I googled Vision Coupe.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27420382/mazda-rwd-platform-inline-six/
That article is C&D guess work, no real facts. More realistically, a 6 cylinder conventional layout 4wd large architecture vehicle could be corporate speak for a pick-up truck........Google 2020 Mazda BT-50.....

Hybrids and EVs have been in Mazdas plans for a while now. The Mazda 3 hybrid has been around since 2013 at least, but has not yet come to dealers. As for EVs, Mazda CEO Masamichi Koga said back in 2016 that a "ZEV" would most likely be coming in 2019...

·
*The Electrician*
850 Posts
I hope they change the Mazda 6 to rwd and don't try to introduce a whole new model. The current 6 with rwd would be fantastic. This new straight 6 would need a minimum of 300hp/300tq or nobody would buy it. They have to beat the Kia Stinger or its gunna be considered a flop.

·
Working Class Hero
3,498 Posts
Got a feeling it would be on a Lexus platform. The current 6 won't lend itself very well to a driveshaft running through it. That doesn't mean it couldn't look like the current 6.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MX-30 would suggest a 2-door vehicle and the '30' portion would suggest something small. I also wonder if this is for their electric vehicle that is coming in 2020, since it was registered in Europe.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Mazda was doing some testing recently in Germany. Now why do you suppose that a partially camouflaged RX-8 was being flogged around the Nurburgring on a closed course manufacturer only test day? Not a rotary for sure but lots of room under that long hood......

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I miss the MX-6.. they should make a new engine for the current 6..so it separates it from the 3 more..just adding a turbo option wasn't enough..3.7L V6 NA Skyactiv DI engine would do it... mpg would be a factor though..
CK

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mazda is expected to show a street version of the concept coupe at the Tokyo Auto Show in October. They are looking at 345hp from the 3.0L in-line 6 cylinder.

This is great new for the prospect of a more powerful 2.0L SkyActiv-X engine for North America. This would suggest 220-230hp from the 2.0L.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts