2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Everybody to the Limit!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been searching for some answers on this.
Ever since Corksport came out with their hood strut lift kit, I saw that the ms3 owner had removed his stock TMIC shroud.
Has anyone done this? Are there any benefits to removing the shroud?
Does the intercooler run cooler this way?

Your thoughts?

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
It would run hotter. That's a stupid idea in my opinion. That shroud seals to the hood to help only draw in cooler air through the hood scoop. Without that shroud the intercooler will be drawing in more hot air from the engine compartment.

·
Everybody to the Limit!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would run hotter. That's a stupid idea in my opinion. That shroud seals to the hood to help only draw in cooler air through the hood scoop. Without that shroud the intercooler will be drawing in more hot air from the engine compartment.
Thats what I thought, but is it a matter of the rubber seal making full contact?
What about the plastic mesh? Does removing that expose more intercooler surface area?

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Thats what I thought, but is it a matter of the rubber seal making full contact?
What about the plastic mesh? Does removing that expose more intercooler surface area?
When I had my speed you could see where it sealed. The shroud had some wear marks in it from the rubber on the hood. I don't see a problem with removing the mesh but it won't open up any more air flow. It's not that restrictive.

Just so you know I wasn't saying your stupid for asking. I was just saying the idea of removing it is stupid and makes no sense to me.

·
Everybody to the Limit!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I had my speed you could see where it sealed. The shroud had some wear marks in it from the rubber on the hood. I don't see a problem with removing the mesh but it won't open up any more air flow. It's not that restrictive.

Just so you know I wasn't saying your stupid for asking. I was just saying the idea of removing it is stupid and makes no sense to me.
LOL!! I got you Swerv! I thought it was a dumb idea but didnt know if there was something to it since Corksport somewhat promoted it in their product.
So I had to ask!

So all in all, do what my momma always told me..... "leave well enough alone!"

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Ok I just now saw this thread and am laughing pretty hard. The only reason the shroud is missing is because the shop was working on installing other parts at the time.... along with the hood struts, so that's why it is off... not for any performance reason.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Ok I just now saw this thread and am laughing pretty hard. The only reason the shroud is missing is because the shop was working on installing other parts at the time.... along with the hood struts, so that's why it is off... not for any performance reason.
*Quietly puts back plastic schroud & watching for anyone looking then walks away like nothing happened* :tongue_smilie 1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts