2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
While there have been a couple minor changes to the suspension, namely better dampening at lower speeds, I have seen nothing to indicate new springs rates for 2017.

OE Spring Rates:
2.5 kg/mm / 140 lbs/in F
3.0 kg/mm / 168 lbs/in R​

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While there have been a couple minor changes to the suspension, namely better dampening at lower speeds, I have seen nothing to indicate new springs rates for 2017.

OE Spring Rates:
2.5 kg/mm / 140 lbs/in F
3.0 kg/mm / 168 lbs/in R​
Thank u so much. This information should be more accesible to everyone. Maybe sticky?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi arathol,

Is the base model Neo suspension different to the SP25?
i called Mazda and they said they are different.
so i took two struts from two cars, the same build month and year, NEO and SP25. Had them side by side and you cannot tell a difference, i checked all specs on the strut and everything matched except Neo had (QG21) and SP25 (QG04).
The base model M3 strut will fit the SP25 vice verser.
Is there any compression difference internally or they are all the same?

thank you

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Having different parts cost a manufacturer money in many different ways. They try to eliminate differences --keeping unique parts to a minimum, and forever trying to have a part work on not just different "trim levels," but major models too (of course in this "goal of parts minimization," they consider other parameters too). As the parts have different numbers, then they are different, and thus the struts would probably be different on compression or rebound rates, or both.

Looking at the two struts side by side gave you the initial determination that they look the same, but the spring rates as well as the shock dampening could be different and very hard to impossible to always see such differences.

I am interested in what you learn as you future explore this, and/or what others post below.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i cannot wait to contact mazda and get to the bottom of this.
the funny thing is when i looked at the two struts they both had the same P/N sticker and engraved on the strut.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
Taking a quick look around I see that there are part number differences for the shocks, but they seem to differentiate between Japan built and Mexico built cars.
The rear springs have a couple different numbers also. Mexico vs Japan built, but also sun roof vs no sun roof.:dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi all, finally i got answers
the 2.0l bn series front strut part number is BAEK34700A (same as SP25)
check the part number on the strut. WT! they are identical
have also asked some suspension guys and they say they are the same except for the MPS.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts