2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 3 HB Auto S Grand Touring
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I own a 2014 Mazda Mazda3 5dr HB Auto S Grand Touring. I joined this forum specifically to ask this question of other owners of this car.

The stock HID headlights seem a lot dimmer than they used to be. I can drive around all the time with high beams on and no one ever flashes me. The last time it was in the dealership for service I asked them about it. They told me that they replaced a bulb on one side with a known good one and no difference, they then replaced the ballast the same way and no different. Everything is working as it should they told me.

Anyone else experience this? Can you drive around with high beams on and not get flashed?

·
Super Moderator
6,755 Posts
Are the bulbs really dim or is it just the output seems less on the road? HID bulbs can create excessive UV radiation which can degrade the reflective surfaces in the light box. Maybe over time yours have become less reflective?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've never tried but there are some apps on Google Play that measures Lumen with the smartphone, maybe do a comparison left side and right side at some distance and do the same with high beams. Search how many lumens a typical HID projects and go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the bulbs really dim or is it just the output seems less on the road? HID bulbs can create excessive UV radiation which can degrade the reflective surfaces in the light box. Maybe over time yours have become less reflective?
Everything in that department looks ok to me. And I would think that the dealer would have noticed also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never tried but there are some apps on Google Play that measures Lumen with the smartphone, maybe do a comparison left side and right side at some distance and do the same with high beams. Search how many lumens a typical HID projects and go from there.
That's an idea. I'd have to check against another car however because both of mine seem dim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts