2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relocating from California to NYC this year, and concerned about going from middling roads to truly terrible roads in NYC over the winter. My friend has a 2017 Accord Sport with 19" wheels, and so far this winter, he's busted 3 tires.

Has anyone in NYC, NJ or Michigan had bad experiences with the stock 18" tires? This is a lease and a weekend pleasure/road trip vehicle, so I'm not looking to install different wheels/tires during the winter. If anything, I'll basically park it for three months a year and drive it minimally.

I've also heard inflating the tires to 40 PSI would help with the blowouts....I have the stock 215/45R18 Dunlop SP Sport 5000s.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I live in NYC and generally did not have any problems over any other car with Low Profile Tires in regards to potholes. They sheer number of them are annoying more than anything, and I do take care to dodge the particularly nasty ones. I've had my Mazda3 S Touring since the beginning of 2014.

A year ago, I did hit a really bad one at moderate speed (20~30 mph) in local traffic with the stock 18" rims/tires on it and started hearing a hiss through the window. The rim had bent and the tire was leaking air. A local shop trued the rim for me and they claimed the tire was OK. Six months later, said tire developed a bubble after being rotated. I took the chance to replace all 4 tires with Continental DWS All seasons and haven't had any more issues since.

I inflate to about 38 Psi on the Dunlop's and 40 on the Conti's (they are squishier), but I cant say if it helps or increases the likelihood of a blowout.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I moved from SF to NYC this past year. What you hear on the news about how bad things are in SF are absolutely true including the bad roads. I hit as more pot holes in SF, 101 and I-5 down to Socal than I do in NY. I'm still getting use to the roads here so I haven't quite memorized where all the potholes are, so just like SF, it's the ones that creep up on you...when the situation allows, don't follow too closely so you can see what's going on in front of you in regards to road surface. With that said, I've hit a few but not as many as I would have expected nor as many as I remember here on the east coast growing up. I think the roads are much better now than they were 30 years ago, but they do use more salt than ever. I actually find the roads outside the city much better. I just drove down to Philly and South Jersey a couple of weeks ago after one of the storms and the roads were in great condition. You just have to get use to the $40 plus dollar tolls round trip we didn't have in CA.

I don't drive my car in the snow, slush or salty roads. It is garage kept and I use it for 3-4 small errands per week and a few road trips a year. I do keep my pressure up to 37. One thing to keep in mind with the changing seasons and temperature here, you do have to continuously monitor your tire pressure based on the hot and cold temperatures which can cause drastic changes in tire pressure.

2017 3 GT Hatch with the stock 18" wheels and Dunlop tires.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Roads in my town are terrible and I'd have the same worry... I've got the 16 stocks and 17 for summer, extra side all good, that said friends have the 18's and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in Minnesota so I know how bad the roads get this time of the year. Its always smarter to find an alternate route if you come across a pothole infested street and also to stay observative. Sometimes the car in front can signal an upcoming pothole/man hole. Some drivers swerve, others go right over them causing their car to jerk.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just drove on I80 in PA yesterday. Anyone from PA knows potholes!! lol. It wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be with 18" wheels. I avoided as many of the bigger potholes that I could, but I was driving through some pretty thick fog so I didn't see a few of them until it was too late.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Somebody just told me today that the east coast actually has 5 seasons...the 5th one being pothole season followed by orange cone/construction season. I lived in PA during my teens and did a lot of family road trips between Philly and Pittsburgh and I-76 was the worst. What made it so bad at the time is that it was the most expensive road to drive per mile in the US because of the tolls , but the condition of the road was so poor.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Michelin...nuff said...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Somebody just told me today that the east coast actually has 5 seasons...the 5th one being pothole season followed by orange cone/construction season. I lived in PA during my teens and did a lot of family road trips between Philly and Pittsburgh and I-76 was the worst. What made it so bad at the time is that it was the most expensive road to drive per mile in the US because of the tolls , but the condition of the road was so poor.
The PA Turnpike has gotten better, but the tolls have gone up a ton! I think it costs $10 to go from Harrisburg to Philly now. I haven't driven it in a while and with the EZ Pass, they don't give you a ticket to tell you how much it costs anymore.

·
Your mom goes to college.
142 Posts
I'm relocating from California to NYC this year, and concerned about going from middling roads to truly terrible roads in NYC over the winter. My friend has a 2017 Accord Sport with 19" wheels, and so far this winter, he's busted 3 tires.

Has anyone in NYC, NJ or Michigan had bad experiences with the stock 18" tires? This is a lease and a weekend pleasure/road trip vehicle, so I'm not looking to install different wheels/tires during the winter. If anything, I'll basically park it for three months a year and drive it minimally.

I've also heard inflating the tires to 40 PSI would help with the blowouts....I have the stock 215/45R18 Dunlop SP Sport 5000s.
I think you answered your own question in your post. Sounds like this would be a bad idea.

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
Sorry, are you referring to inflating to 40 psi as a bad idea? I have a friend in NYC who swears by higher tire pressure to avoid blow outs....
Just FYI, the manufacturer recommended tire pressure is 36 psi... in the summer. In the winter Mazda says to add 4 psi to that....

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
While I typically follow OEM tire pressure recommendations, I do not in the winter inflate my tires about the 36 PSi on the door label. Not been an issue, though that is perhaps because I live in a moderate-winter-climate (Pacific Northwest), and rarely do we see temps in the 20’s or below.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts