2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 16" stock Yoko's on my 3 iSport are already down to 3/32 of tread and will need replacement soon. The car has just over 22,000 miles.

WTF?

·
Registered
290 Posts
mine are nearing the wear bars - about to be 30k miles on the ODO

my car is a 14' so the tires are starting to show some dry rot cracks

waiting for them to wear out all the way and then I'll just get an entire wheel/tire package from Tire Rack
Looking at the Pirelli Cinturatos or the Michellin All Seasons

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine are nearing the wear bars - about to be 30k miles on the ODO

my car is a 14' so the tires are starting to show some dry rot cracks

waiting for them to wear out all the way and then I'll just get an entire wheel/tire package from Tire Rack
Looking at the Pirelli Cinturatos or the Michellin All Seasons
I should have mentioned mine is also a '14. I live in the northeast so not sure if I'll have the time to run them all the way.

Seems very premature to be replacing. A bit disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
So my 16" stock Yoko's on my 3 iSport are already down to 3/32 of tread and will need replacement soon. The car has just over 22,000 miles.

WTF?
What did you expect? They are soft, with a tread wear rating of 320. The ones that came on my car were Blue Earth S34s, not even made of real rubber. Those are junk any way you look at them. They got tossed in the first week. Bad enough on a dry road, absolutely unacceptable in the wet. Traction range B? Really? I thought stuff like that went away 20 years ago.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm in a similar situation with my '14 s Touring, but with 18" wheels. The stock dunlops they put on are junk. not even 14000 miles and just about at 5/32nds tread - which, while decent, is not good for the Mid-Atlantic winters (especially since the tires have horrid snow traction to begin with). The soft tread and short tread-life seems to be the trade off for dry handling.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What did you expect? They are soft, with a tread wear rating of 320. The ones that came on my car were Blue Earth S34s, not even made of real rubber. Those are junk any way you look at them. They got tossed in the first week. Bad enough on a dry road, absolutely unacceptable in the wet. Traction range B? Really? I thought stuff like that went away 20 years ago.
I expected just a little more mileage out of the factory tires.. Had no idea they were such shit.

·
Registered
690 Posts

WTF?
In contrast to the OP's experience, my '15 with factory 16-inch Yokohamas have 8/32" of tread remaining after 21,000 miles. They arrived from the factory with 10/32" of tread on them, so the 2/32" of wear is quite reasonable at this point.

I suppose it's where and how they're driven that makes the difference. I do rotate every 5000 miles or so and keep them pumped up to 40 psi or so. So far, the wear from side-to-side is quite even.

For me, the Yoko Avid 534 BluEarth tires are not only wearing well, but I like the overall handling in both dry and wet conditions. No problems at all for me to report.

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
In contrast to the OP's experience, my '15 with factory 16-inch Yokohamas have 8/32" of tread remaining after 21,000 miles. They arrived from the factory with 10/32" of tread on them, so the 2/32" of wear is quite reasonable at this point.

I suppose it's where and how they're driven that makes the difference. I do rotate every 5000 miles or so and keep them pumped up to 40 psi or so. So far, the wear from side-to-side is quite even.

For me, the Yoko Avid 534 BluEarth tires are not only wearing well, but I like the overall handling in both dry and wet conditions. No problems at all for me to report.
40 psi? They should be at 36. The car will ride better and handle better if you lower it down few psi.
Try a decent tire and you will wonder why you ever kept those things on your car. The Dunlop Signature HPs I put on made a world of difference. As to tire wear, well, you can't have everything. I prefer good performance oriented tires. You can't have decent sticky rubber and get 30K out of a tire. 10K out of a set of performance tires I consider good.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I am aware that my pressure at 40 psi is above the door-jam-specified 36. However, I generally always run pressures above the sticker value in order to get better results for me.

The pressures I run still are below the tire's sidewall stated maximum allowable 52 psi, which is the pressure they need for carrying maximum sidewall-specified weight.

As I stated, I am happy with these Toyos relative to wear, handling and cornering in both dry and wet conditions. Of course, I generally don't drive such that I'm constantly challenging their characteristics, but when and where I've had to apply heavy braking or execute quick maneuvers, they have responded very well with no surprises at all.

About the wear factor, no way would I choose a type of tire that gets 10,000 nominal miles before needing replacement. If I did get such tires, they wouldn't be on a car in the Mazda 3 class nor driven on a public road.

·
Registered
80 Posts

You must have wings on that car.

After 7500 all highway miles mine are at 7mm or 9/32.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also have a '14 and sold those Yokohamas for $140 after a year on them. They were terrible. Went with a dedicated summer (Conti dw) and winter (Altimax Arctic) setup.

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
Also have a '14 and sold those Yokohamas for $140 after a year on them. They were terrible. Went with a dedicated summer (Conti dw) and winter (Altimax Arctic) setup.
HAH! I tried to sell mine with less then 500 miles. Nobody wants them. I can't even give them away.:surprise:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had Bridgestone Ecopias stock on my car, they had horrible grip and would skip on hard launches.
I replaced them at a little over 35k with Falken Ziex 950s, I have to say a really good budget "performance" all season. I have 20k on them now and find no glaring flaws.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went 55k on mine and would have gone longer if it weren't the middle of the winter and I needed an inspection sticker. In reality it was time to replace as they were hitting th wear bars. I rotated every 10k miles when I changed the oil. I'm not an aggressive driver and keep my tire pressures at 40 cold. and keep up with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had Bridgestone Ecopias stock on my car, they had horrible grip and would skip on hard launches.
I replaced them at a little over 35k with Falken Ziex 950s, I have to say a really good budget "performance" all season. I have 20k on them now and find no glaring flaws.
I had Ecopias on one of my other cars - a Chevy HHR. They didn't have a lot of grip, but I replaced them at 82,000 miles....

Reactions: ADarkerBreed
1 - 17 of 17 Posts