2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: Sorry, posted it to the wrong section. meant to go into performance...:)

Still "breaking in" a new engine ( 350 miles on the odometer today) and per owners manual, I am keeping the rev under 4000 rpm for now. Unfortunately, I have yet to experience the "zoom zoom" factor on the 2013 2.0L Skyactive hatchback 6spd. I don't feel much torque below 3000 rpm, and the car feels sluggish. It feels like I should push WAY above 4000 rpm in 2nd gear before I shift into 3rd to feel any kind of pull. I'll update this thread after I go over 600 miles and do few WOT accelerations.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
No need to baby it, theres no "break in" period

And even when you do break in an engine, babying it is not the way to do it

Go out and have fun. Chirp the tires going into 2nd lol

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm on my 20k mile after switching to full synthetic oil and getting a k&n skyactiv replacement stock box filter honestly I just started feeling that I just finished breaking in my car lol but I did drove it hard after 600 miles lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yea the skyactiv is 2 cars in one. If you stay under 2k RPM you can get maximum mpg and it has perfectly adequate power for daily commuting. But then if you feel like having fun you crank it up past 4k all day, the power band is probably 3.5k to 6k. Unfortunately the engine does feel sluggish if you try and gun it in the lower RPM range. The first time u get to launch it you will realize the stock tires have poor grip, I'm pretty sure I chirped the tires in 3rd gear the first time i launched it.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Mazda's little graphic here should tell the torque band story:

Stolen from Aitch over at TorontoMazda3Forums who of course took it from Mazda. In any case, you can see that the current Sky-2.0 without the long headers has a pretty wimpy torque curve, about 3.5k to 6k as tmart mentioned. In real life I felt like the car would fall flat on its face after 5.5k, and it's much better now with an SRI and exhaust.

As far as babying it goes, I'm in the camp that you most definitely should. The first oil that's in the engine is going to have a lot of worn-in metal particles from the break-in process, so you would logically want to not load the engine hard on the first oil, and avoid those metal bits possibly biting into critical parts. After the first oil change at 3000 miles, the engine should have a lot less metal left to flake off, so you technically can push it harder, but honestly I didn't feel like my engine was done breaking in till maybe the fourth oil change (11000mi for me). It should rightly take a long time for the engine parts to get to a state where they are loose enough to move optimally freely, because after that it's all downhill.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Is that the 2013 CX5 with the new engine? Will the 2014 M3 have a similar torque curve? It's a huge difference between the two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts