2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently picked up an 11 Mazda 3s Sport 2.5. I'm coming from a 6 speed VW and the clutch in this Mazda seems so much different, is it normal?

I find the clutch pedal very stiff and the engagement range is sooooo wide. Like it starts engaging about 1" off the floor then there's about about 1.5" of slipping range before the clutch is completely engaged.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
honestly that could be normal, vw has a very tight clutch that catches and engages and disengages at a very narrow range and after driving them daily for work for years I was the same way when I got my first mazda manual very wide engagement range, easiest thing in these cars is to push it all the way down shift let up almost half way then start in to give it gas I think they do that to keep people without much manual experience from riding the clutch. just practice doing that in one quick motion in a parking lot or empty road a few times and you will find it should engage about half way and once you get halfway down you can push quick, shift quick let up half way and then start gassing it and proceed as you always do. however the 2010-13s had an issue with weak clutch disks so you may have the clutch inspected if you are unsure, or it really does just feel wrong even after a few weeks or so, as it took me a few weeks to get used to it, then I loved it and hate other clutches now. granted I have an auto now (no manuals in my price range this time around, sucks but hey got a fully optioned one, so) the manual states a little about the clutch and their info maybe helpful to get you used to it. its hard to describe how you will know when you found where it engages and start getting used to it but you will.

also the mileage will help us out as well, please post that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very the very descriptive post! The car has 100k on it but the clutch actually grabs real nice and doesn't let out anywhere near the top like must worn clutches would. I'd say it's just a matter of getting used to it. The pedal pushes sooo much easier on the Jetta that's for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wide engagement range is the hardest part to get used to especially on hill starts. You let out the clutch and feel the clutch grab but it's not quite enough to hold the car from rolling back.

I see mixed reviews of the clutches on these cars, some say the pedal is super easy and others say it's stuff. Strange.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swapped out my clutch with a new Exedy OEM and I had the flywheel resurfaced like it should have been done from the factory by being Blanchard ground. The machine shop said the flywheel was so bad and the factory finish was like nothing he had ever seen before. Now the clutch is exactly like it should be! Perfect pedal feel and the engagement range is now spot on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts