2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 mazda 3 had pop spill onto and underneath the radio controle buttons. I wanted to see if I could pry the buttons up and off. Is this possible. In Michigan when it gets cold the sticky pop freezes and the buttons won't work. can the buttons come up and off or what can I clean the pop out with?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have the same problem, spilled tea. I believe that you have to remove the buttons/knob assembly. It's all one part. That means taking apart the surrounding dash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I managed to do the same thing, to go cup with a poor fitting lid. Ugh. However, the fix is really easy and you do not even need to remove anything! Pick up some Isopropl Alcohol from a drug store. With your car off, simply pour a small amount over the buttons/control knob. Push the buttons and twist the knobs to work the liquid into the gaps. Keep doing this for a few minutes. Keep adding fluid to flush out the sugar and grime. After a few minutes, walk away! The alcohol will clean out the components and then evaporate away.
As long as you don't power up the car, you will be just fine. Alcohol works great for electronics and causes no damage. I use it for tv remotes as well. Give it time to evaporate and you will have buttons that are functional again. If you didn't clean out the command knob and buttons completely, they might get sticky again. But do the flush again and you are set. The command switch replacement is $200. For 3 dollars from a drug store you have a simple hack.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I managed to do the same thing, to go cup with a poor fitting lid. Ugh. However, the fix is really easy and you do not even need to remove anything! Pick up some Isopropl Alcohol from a drug store. With your car off, simply pour a small amount over the buttons/control knob. Push the buttons and twist the knobs to work the liquid into the gaps. Keep doing this for a few minutes. Keep adding fluid to flush out the sugar and grime. After a few minutes, walk away! The alcohol will clean out the components and then evaporate away.
As long as you don't power up the car, you will be just fine. Alcohol works great for electronics and causes no damage. I use it for tv remotes as well. Give it time to evaporate and you will have buttons that are functional again. If you didn't clean out the command knob and buttons completely, they might get sticky again. But do the flush again and you are set. The command switch replacement is $200. For 3 dollars from a drug store you have a simple hack.
I think the key word here is PATIENCE...It may not completely work the first time or at all but keep trying. Don't get too aggressive with the alcohol and repeat, repeat, repeat if necessary...and as you suggest wait awhile before turning on the ignition to make sure the liquid is dry as you would with a wet smart phone...even a hairdryer on cool/warm setting to be sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts