2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UK, 2015 Model, done about 21,000 miles. 16inch wheels. Owned for 8 months.
I get noticeable steering shake at motorway/freeway speeds 60mph+
Ive had this done:
All 4 wheels balanced (by tyre shop 1)
All 4 wheels balanced (by tyre shop 2)
All 4 re-seat and balance (remove tyre replace 180 degrees and re-balance)
4 new tyres (funded by the dealer) - goodyear efficient grip.

This has never been right since I bought the car, but the balancing has made a huge difference, but there is still wheel-shake.

I even test drove another Mazda3 (2016 model, 6000 miles) and its steering shook as well, but not as bad as my car. I had all 4 wheels and tyres from the other mz3 put in my car, the wheel-shake was reduced but not gone. This was the factor that led to the dealer replacing all 4 tyres.

Any ideas? TBH I now avoid motorways and long journeys and whilst I like the car, i probably wont hold onto it much longer because of this.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I drove a few miles at 70mph on my test drives and didn't notice any shake (UK 2.0 Sport Nav models). Have you tried laser 4 wheel alignment in addition to the balancing?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Can you get the wheels checked for true to make sure one isn't bent?

Does the wobble go away / shift from the steering wheel to the seat if you rotate the tires? - If yes, it's something in one of the wheels - bent rim / balance / bad belts in the tires. If no and it stays in the steering wheel there's something loose in the front end / hubs / steering / etc.

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had the alignment checked, it's ok.
The wheels were checked by the tyre shop specifically looking for buckling etc. The balancing weights used are not overly excessive I'm told, about right they said.
I havent swapped wheels around, I could try that

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All 4 tyres are new. I very much doubt if there is anything wrong with the tyres.
Forgot to mention that during the reseat and balance on the previous tyres they were swapped left to right but not front to back

·
Registered
1 Posts
UK, 2015 Model, done about 21,000 miles. 16inch wheels. Owned for 8 months.
I get noticeable steering shake at motorway/freeway speeds 60mph+
Ive had this done:
All 4 wheels balanced (by tyre shop 1)
All 4 wheels balanced (by tyre shop 2)
All 4 re-seat and balance (remove tyre replace 180 degrees and re-balance)
4 new tyres (funded by the dealer) - goodyear efficient grip.

This has never been right since I bought the car, but the balancing has made a huge difference, but there is still wheel-shake.

I even test drove another Mazda3 (2016 model, 6000 miles) and its steering shook as well, but not as bad as my car. I had all 4 wheels and tyres from the other mz3 put in my car, the wheel-shake was reduced but not gone. This was the factor that led to the dealer replacing all 4 tyres.

Any ideas? TBH I now avoid motorways and long journeys and whilst I like the car, i probably wont hold onto it much longer because of this.
I have a 2007 mazda 3 sedan 18 inch wheels and tires bla bla bla.any way I have same problem with my car I've done all the same fixes to no avail. 60 to 65 it shakes feels like passenger side only not matter what cant figure it out ,mechanics can't figure it out ,starting to think it's a mazda thing.im going to try dropping it 1.5 inches and try that .I didn't get to hear your video .but I still race the shit out of mine so I'll let you know own when what ever it is breaks.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Get em Hunter RoadForce balanced. No ordinary balancer.:)
Exactly! I had a similar issue about twenty years ago before I learned about road force balancing. Getting it Hunter RoadForce balanced was the best $75 I ever spent on that car, and happily kept it for tens of thousands of miles after that. Every single new set of tires I get, is now road force balanced at time of original mounting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts