1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I had my steering wheel replaced.

Before:

After:

And that's after ~15000-18000 km only. At first, dealer said that it's not a warranty issue, and importer declined the replacement.
Then I sent an email to Mazda Europe and wrote a post on Facebook, tagging Mazda dealer, Mazda Japan, etc.

After that dealer called me and asked for a High Res photos of the steering wheel to send to Mazda to decide.
Then they called again after some time, saying that steering wheel was ordered and waiting for shipment.

Few days ago they called and said that steering wheel has arrived.
But the day before that, one guy from Russia found a Technical Bulletin, describing this particular issue with steering wheels and how it should be handled - Replaced with a new, modified and improved steering wheel.
I asked dealer what Part # is the new wheel and it was NOT the one that is described in the Bulletin.

After some emails, and Facebook messages with managers of the dealer and importer, they told me that this Bulletin is not for Ukraine, and that Ukraine does not have Bulletins describing this issue for Mazda 3 BM. Until Mazda Europe sends them such Bulletin - they can't order new improved wheels.

So I decided to go and replace it with the one that they already got for me.

It still has some minor changes, as I understand, because its Part # has different ending BHP2-32-982A02.

Reactions: g-hood

·
Registered
290 Posts
So are you saying that there's potentially a few cars out there that have defective steering wheels like this? The leather looks like it's flaking off... Imagine what I would've looked like in a few years!
That's crazy, thankfully my steering wheel has absolutely no scuffing/peeling and still looks great - and mine is a 2014
Glad that they were able to take care of you under warranty

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So are you saying that there's potentially a few cars out there that have defective steering wheels like this? The leather looks like it's flaking off... Imagine what I would've looked like in a few years!
That's crazy, thankfully my steering wheel has absolutely no scuffing/peeling and still looks great - and mine is a 2014
Glad that they were able to take care of you under warranty
There are A LOT. At least in Russia.
I've seen numerous reports about replacement of steering wheels there.

Haven't seen so many of them in Ukraine, but there were few of them still, AFAIK.

If you're curious, here are links with examples (some have photos only after replacement):
https://www.drive2.ru/l/459268481896963058/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/458404815513386232/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/461493343675746218/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/462051620704747761/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/462189334536126582/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/464999136500908175/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi SergSlim
May i ask Please what year of manufacture is your M3? or even more specific, when it was road registered?

Thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi SergSlim
May i ask Please what year of manufacture is your M3? or even more specific, when it was road registered?

Thanks
Not sure what you mean by "road registered".
It was manufactured in 2015. I bought it in May 2016, but it was a test drive car in the dealer store and had 570 km on odometer, when I bought it.
So basically it was half year at dealer as test drive car, and approximately 9 months in my ownership, though steering wheel started getting damaged few months earlier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "road registered".
It was manufactured in 2015. I bought it in May 2016, but it was a test drive car in the dealer store and had 570 km on odometer, when I bought it.
So basically it was half year at dealer as test drive car, and approximately 9 months in my ownership, though steering wheel started getting damaged few months earlier.
Thanks. So basically now it's1.5 year old

By road registered i ment the date it was registered in the car documents as licensed to drive. (When it's got the car number)

CHEERS :wink2:

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Interesting. I had heard about this but never took the time to find pics. I thankfully have about 22k miles on my 2016 (yes, I drive a lot) and it's still looking perfect. I condition the hell out of my leather with Maguires though - once every other month. It can leave a slick film, but it quickly goes away after a few days and leather is still looking great! Just FYI

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm on my second wheel and about to go and get this one replaced also.
Funny enough, my second steering wheel started getting damaged too and dealer replaced it again with a new one. This time I got BHP2-32-982B02, which is still not the newest modification - BHY3-32-982.

Updated technical bulletin is R102/16D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is flaking worse than your photos. A 2015 model 3 hatchback with 31,000 miles. I'll take it to my dealer in the US and let you know what they say.

·
Registered
214 Posts
mine has small things, but since I brought it second hand in USA and then imported to DR....

I will have to cover mine before it gets bad...

any sugestions on covers...

there are places here that cover in leather for 35usd....but they are not custom fit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
mine has small things, but since I brought it second hand in USA and then imported to DR....

I will have to cover mine before it gets bad...

any sugestions on covers...

there are places here that cover in leather for 35usd....but they are not custom fit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody,
Has anybody got such damages like the ones I have? it's on my 2016 Mazda 6 and it's been replaced already once, now Mazda Australia doesn't want to change it a second time as they say it was my fault. When I suggested I could stop by at their headquarters as I work not far, so they can show me how I could physically do such damage, I was told it was not possible as it was not in the procedure.

The whole story is there:

Does anybody has the same issue?

Few people told me it could me from any metal thing I could have in contact with the wheel when getting in and out of the car, I would have to firmly push this metal item against the wheel and rotate this one for about 20 degres. and wihtout power steering as almost all the time, like all of you guys I think, get into my car, or out, when the engine is off.
Also, I don't wear any ring and have short finger nails.
It seems some people noticed it and thought it was something they have done without being careful and feel upset about it. It is a poor quality material use, or a bad process of it, that make it over-stressed in some area. Then a it of heat and contact with hand can start the damage.

I am still asking Mazda Australia to show me how I can physically do this damage, and if they can, I will apologise, even bring them a slab of beer with a sorry card, but they refuse the offer and still blame me without any technical support to their decision. They don't know, therefore it's my fault, it doesn't cut it to me.

Michel

Michel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts