2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please DISCONNECT the negative terminal of the battery before doing this.

Disclaimer: This is for reference only. Do this at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damages caused as a result of this!!

DISCONNECT the negative terminal of the battery

Remove the bolt cap, the airbag has two bolts attached. One on each side of the back side of the steering wheel.
Tools needed:
- a flat for the cap
- 10mm socket for the bolts

Airbag is loose and flip over you will see two connectors from the clockspring connected to the airbag.

Use a small flat carefully pop out the black plastic clips before unplug the connectors (Be careful with these clips, Mazda does not sell the clips separate, if you do loose or break it, you will have to buy a new closkspring assembly just for that clip) according to Mazda dealer
Also unplug the horn harness.

A note from Leets, Also, I thought I might add a note for anyone attempting this for the first time. I struggled at first with the airbag plugs. The clips came out fairly easily, but I couldn't figure out how to pull the plugs. The trick is to push in the sides so that the hooks are free. I've attached a picture of the plug (both are the same design) so that you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for the pic Leets.

Now that the airbag is out. Take a 21mm socket and remove the center bolt.
Unplug steering control the harness.

Now that the steering wheel is detached. Remove all the front screws.

Take out the wires out from the plastic holder/loop.

Flip over the wheel and remove all the screws.

Now every components came loose. The LEFT and RIGHT control buttons can be disassembled using a small flat. ( Forgot to take pictures on this)

Now you can paint/ wrap the pieces.

My current set up!

Some old pictures!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Do you have to completely remove the steering wheel from the car and remove the switches if i just wanted to remove and paint the lower piece you have blue? I tried wrapping it while it was on the car and have mild success but would rather spray it.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Wonderful write-up. So I see the airbag wire has a good bit of slack in it, what about the wires to the buttons? I'm attempting to space out my steering wheel towards me (pure ergonomics) so hopefully I don't have to re-wire too much before I can use your tutorial here. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wonderful write-up. So I see the airbag wire has a good bit of slack in it, what about the wires to the buttons? I'm attempting to space out my steering wheel towards me (pure ergonomics) so hopefully I don't have to re-wire too much before I can use your tutorial here. :)
I am not sure I understand what you trying to do :sad:

·
Registered
208 Posts
how the F.. is the speedo at 120MPH??? lol

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I am not sure I understand what you trying to do :sad:
Designing a splined spacer for the steering wheel, hoping to shim it 1-1.5" towards me when I'm sitting in driving position. The wheel is too far away for my short arms. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Designing a splined spacer for the steering wheel, hoping to shim it 1-1.5" towards me when I'm sitting in driving position. The wheel is too far away for my short arms. :)
that's a good idea. i hope the steering wheel were closer to me. sometimes i feel my arm is short too.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Your steering column doesn't telescope? Mine does. Just loosens the tilt lever, and it should tilt and telescope... @color0

Sent from a Parallel Universe

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
23 Participants
onewickedkid05
2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums
Come discuss all things Mazda 3 from the Mazda GT hatchback to Mazdaspeed, sedan and sport.
Full Forum Listing