2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after approx. 31,000k or 1 year and 9 months of ownership the leather on my steering wheel is starting to peel, related issue can be found here:

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-appearance-interior/188946-steering-wheel-replacement-warranty.html

Photo:

It's quiet disappointing, since I was just doing my regular leather cleaning routine with "Meguiar's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner" applying even pressure throughout the entire steering wheel surface. Also a while back the leather on the automatic gear knob started to peel but it was not a big deal or similar as per what is currently happening with the steering wheel.

Should this be covered under warranty?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine looks even worst with 50k. It's a very thin layer of leather and the quality doesn't seem to be that great..

·
Registered
560 Posts
So after approx. 31,000k or 1 year and 9 months of ownership the leather on my steering wheel is starting to peel, related issue can be found here:

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-appearance-interior/188946-steering-wheel-replacement-warranty.html

Photo:

It's quiet disappointing, since I was just doing my regular leather cleaning routine with "Meguiar's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner" applying even pressure throughout the entire steering wheel surface. Also a while back the leather on the automatic gear knob started to peel but it was not a big deal or similar as per what is currently happening with the steering wheel.

Thanks!
Definitely disappointing....So where was your Israel car manufactured? I'm always curious even though quality control issues can occur anywhere, but other places more frequently. Not much of a complaint I have seen here in the US, but I could be wrong. Is your car parked in the heat and sun frequently?

Personally, I don't use a lot of cleaners and conditioners...just a damp cloth.

I don't personally know about the warranty or whether that is real leather or pleather, but based on the VIN, the Mazda dealer may know of quality control issues, as has been the case for other things, like wheels for example coming from a particular factory.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts

Photo:

Thanks!
Ah man, I'm sorry to see that. This was always one of my fears when I had my 3, as I was out of warranty. I believe this was a TSB, but don't quote me on that. Either way, that should absolutely be covered under warranty. That's not regular wear and tear and I'm sure your car looks immaculate all the time. Do let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I put a towel over mine whenever the car is parked. The steering wheel on my previous car gave out and I put a WheelSkin on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can anyone chime in on the steering wheel being a warranty item? I've seen a post where it was replaced under warranty but it wasn't in the US.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm interested to hear....I'm in the US and mine is looking tired now that I'm at 73k and I'm looking into getting it fixed as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The steering wheel did that on my 2015 M3 , pretty bad too, it was all worn off on the bottom and the sides were bad too.

I got some all in one dye and sealer in black, gave it a quick rub down with 1200 wet and dry paper, degreased wheel then applied 3 coats to the affected areas with a dish cleaning sponge, avoiding the red stitching. Took about ten minutes all up. Did it three weeks ago, still looks like new.
this is in the UK:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162987882369?ul_noapp=true

in NA this is similar

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/eco-flo-all-in-one-4-4-fl-oz-132-ml

the bottle i bought was 50ml, barely used 5ml for the whole wheel.

·
Registered
964 Posts
How are you guys screwing up the steering wheel after barely two years and 30k miles?!?! LOL.

I have 82,000 miles on my 2014 and the shit is still mint. I haven’t done squat to it but wiping down with a moist microfiber towel every year or two. The wheel is constantly getting oils from your hands and should be quite healthy as is without needing any leather conditioner added ( it isn’t leather anyway)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not a fan of the steering wheel on this car. It's too thin and too big. Not sporty at all. I have some very small damage on mine too at 19k km and 2 years. I think possibly from rubbing something on it. I plan to replace it later with a fatter one with a flat bottom but it absolutely must have all the controls on the replacement one.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts