2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's possible to program or tune the electronic steering to a stiffer/heavier feel? This was the first thing I noticed stepping into this car coming from a bmw, the steering is a lot and I mean a lot lighter.

It just crossed my mind since these cars have an actual electronic steering motor that seem to change from lighter (parking lot speed) to heavier under faster conditions. So they must have some type of programming. Just wondering if you could tweak it, kinda like with tuning you can change things like the electronic throttle response.

Further I might add that in the bmw the sport mode would increase the heavy feel of the steering wheel so I know from the factory these things can be done but could there be like a module you can attach to change the setting? I mean it's not like the electronic steering motor isn't capable because wouldn't heavier steering feel just be LESS electronic steering motor input.

And I'm not looking for answers like pull the power steering fuse to have the heaviest steering feel possible haha. Although that may be fun for a day or two.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think its possible but I could be wrong. I thought that once the driving gets more aggressive, the steering rack will "tighten" up for a sharper and crisper turn with a heavier feel to it. Anyone else chime in?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I haven't noticed the steering getting heavier, just the grip from the tires pushing back against the wheel. It's still light when you flick the wheel.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it has to have different levels of input because if you turn off power steering the wheel would be extremely hard to turn while stopped or moving very slowly while getting increasingly easier while you speed up and yes while going faster your wheel will want to return to straight as you mentioned. My point is the power applied from the power steering must change because why would it be much easier at a stop when that is when the most resistance that the motor would have to counter. If it maintained this amount of input it would get increasingly lighter as you sped up.

Anyway check out this link it explains how the electronic steering works and how it changes it's amount of power. As well as how to modify it.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=111532

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts