2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Today had mod day with @pdc001.
We quickly tackled a basic oil change using my favorite Amsoil 0w 20 100% synthetic signature series. Then moved onto swapping out my oem brake pads and brake fluid. Even though I just reached 25k, I still had plenty of pad life left in my oem pads. But i dont care...Mazfest is coming up, so I went ahead and installed Hawk Performance Autocross/Track front brake pads as well as Amsoils DOT4 brake fluid.
Overall installation went pretty smooth except it was a little hard to see the brake fluid level in the reservoir cause the DOT4 was clear, and not your tippical yellowish color. Once all brakes were bled properly, it was time to bedd them in. We did the normal procedure reccomended for bedding the brakes in. We noticed when the pads got hot it turned my rotor this cool purple/blue color.

Now I knew that they would squel on me a create alot more brake dust than normal. But after driving around all day, it is amazing how much stopping power I have underneath my toes. I will just have to deal with the squeling sound for now for daily driving, Especially when they're cold.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Attachments

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
i'll be running the same pads @ Mazfest
Are you on stock rotors?

Just curious what you used to bleed the brakes? I need new pads soon and want to change the fluid out as well. I've heard mixed opinions on what to use and how effective/slow/fast thy are.
No special tools. Just two people...one to pump brakes and ther bleeding them. Simple wrench and tube hose with some old oil or brake fluid so that no aire bleeds back into the lines

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #170 (Edited)
So the other day I installed brackets to hold my breaker bar and torque bar in place against the side wall of the trunk. Reason being is that i got tired of both bars sloshing around the trunk while driving, it got annoying.
Also I've been asked why I keep them in the trunk. For me I like having them with me at all time just cause it convenient and for emergency purposes. Also since I have aftermarket wheels w/ extended lugs, there's no way i'm going to use the oem breaker bar to take the wheels off.
Anyways I figured i do a small right up how I created these brackets.

I tried searching online for a pre-made bracket to save some build time, Nothing. I went ahead and visited my local Home Depot. The closest thing I could find that I could work with was these "Decorative Cafe Brackets" that you would use to hang up drapes. They cost $4.97 per pack (2 brackets), so I purchased two packs.

Then i moved over to the hardware section and picked up small pack of nuts and bolts that will be used to mount the brackets in place. Cost was about $.99 for a pack of 8 nuts and bolts.

Next I separated each bracket by unscrewing the bolt that was attached which separated the other half of the bracket. So I had the hook part and the "L" shaped bracket.

Next I drilled two even holes in the center of the Hook bracket, enough for the bolt to fit through the holes. I did that for all four hook brackets.

Then I managed to bend the hook bracket back using a table vice I have. Once I figured out the right angle for the bracket I continued to apply to the others. Also I had to widen the U part of the bracket just a little so that bar had a snug fit.

Next onto the L shaped bracket (this will be used for the backing of the initial bracket). Here was pretty simple, all I did was cut off the shorter end of the bracket (trash the small piece that was cut)

Once this is done to the rest of the L pieces, smooth out the longer piece so the edges are not sharp.

At this point you're pretty much done. Next would be to mount it to the wall of the trunk. Either side will work, just I preferred the right side. Now in order to bolt these on you have to remove that whole side wall piece out. Once that is out you can measure where you want your brackets to sit, helps using a level bar as well.

The flat Long piece is going to go on the back side of the trunk wall it is used for support. Make sure to pre-drill the holes onto the wall first to help with mounting. Once everything is bolted on, make sure to test your bar for support. Then finish up by putting everything back together inside the trunk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I'll try and get better pictures up a little later on in the next few days.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Needs a clip for those of us who like flying over bumps and railroad crossings. :grin2: Great work Gabe.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Update: Other day I was ale to finally finish up painting my interior trim pieces. Mainly the speedo trim, after some research i was able to figure out how to remove it. But after I was all done, apparently the silver trim rings can be removed, but easily broken if not careful. Anyhow i removed the whole entire piece just to be on the safe side.

Carefully tapped up the edges and prepped for paint.

Final product

·
Registered
189 Posts
I love the brackets for the breaker bar and torque wrench. Genius idea.

The car is looking really good since the last time I gave your build thread a read...keep it up bro

161 - 175 of 175 Posts