2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first time posting here, so I apologize if im in the wrong area.
Anyways here is my issue...

I recently purchased a Mazda3i and I did an oil change cleaned up the engine checked all the fuses and added fuel injector cleaner too. it has 45k miles so everything should be good besides the issue im having.
When I try and start the car it SOMETIMES stalls to start, it sounds like the car wants to turn on but just takes a good 10-15 seconds oh trying to turn. When it does finally turn over I hear a fairly loud WHOOSHING sound coming from behind the glove compartment. It sounds like a bunch of water is dropping through the pipes or something. Im not sure what the problem is. I dont have any codes populating and no check engine lights. Any help would be great ??

·
older&wiser
51 Posts
Hello this is my first time posting here, so I apologize if im in the wrong area.
Anyways here is my issue...

I recently purchased a Mazda3i and I did an oil change cleaned up the engine checked all the fuses and added fuel injector cleaner too. it has 45k miles so everything should be good besides the issue im having.
When I try and start the car it SOMETIMES stalls to start, it sounds like the car wants to turn on but just takes a good 10-15 seconds oh trying to turn. When it does finally turn over I hear a fairly loud WHOOSHING sound coming from behind the glove compartment. It sounds like a bunch of water is dropping through the pipes or something. Im not sure what the problem is. I dont have any codes populating and no check engine lights. Any help would be great ??
You might want to check if any vacuum hoses are disconnected. That might explain the WHOOSH sound.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That actually if from behind the glove compartment might be ac related, clogged cabin air filter possibly? I would try having someone else start it if possible, while you look under the hood and listen for that noise to try to pinpoint it. That'd be a good start for that. As far as hard to start, get your battery checked. 2016 would most likely have an original battery and could be on its way out.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Vacuum leak maybe. But usually that affects the idle too. I'd venture to guess that you have a fuel pressure issue in that it isn't holding pressure between starts. If you have a warranty, get this checked out as would likely be a bad injector, fuel pump or something worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys thanks so much for your assistance, here is an update: I have checked the spark plugs, fuel injectors, and all relays. Thwy are fine, I also did an il change and put a new radiator in. Also recharged the ac unit (in a shop) plus changed the air filter.

as for the vacuum hoses idk if those are in good standing. I know I had somecodes populate about the fuel rail but ever since I did the oil change that code hasnt popped up again.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,053 Posts
Wow.. that's a lot of DIY.

I applaud your effort, but I think there maybe an underlying issue that those prior error codes may help reveal.

Did you keep a record of which ones they were?

Also.. the cabin air filter is behind the glove box. It's probably unrelated.. but it's a quick and easy job and it will, at least, make the cabin smell nice.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,053 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I'd venture to guess that you have a fuel pressure issue in that it isn't holding pressure between starts. If you have a warranty, get this checked out as would likely be a bad injector, fuel pump or something worse.
Had this exact issue w/ a nonMazda. Same symptoms as the OP's. Low fuel pressure. In-tank plastic hose had a tear. Ethanol may have had a hand there.

Thanks so much. Yeah it was thanks to my father in laws help. The code was P0192.
Look into the fuel lines, filter/pumps(intank&high pressure), pressure sensor&harness, coolant temp sensor(if blue temp light works upon successful cold starts, unlikely faulty).

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had this exact issue w/ a nonMazda. Same symptoms as the OP's. Low fuel pressure. In-tank plastic hose had a tear. Ethanol may have had a hand there.

Look into the fuel lines, filter/pumps(intank&high pressure), pressure sensor&harness, coolant temp sensor(if blue temp light works upon successful cold starts, unlikely faulty).

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
The Blue temp light does turn on upon cold start. Its a brand new radiator and the AC was just recharged and pressurized.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts