2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an issue on my Mazda 3 - 2.2L - 150 cv - automatic gearbox. My start & stop don't work every time, when it default my fuel consumption increase around 20-30%. Any indicator light are on. The start & stop can be unactived during more 20 min and sometimes it is activate but after 5 min turn off. So I looked in comsumption app and the start & stop doesn't work due to the engine (below) so it's not an issue from the air conditionner or the battery. Even if the start & stop it's not on, I dont understand why the consumption increase.

Cloud Sky Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Do you have any idea ?

Thanks guys !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey SevenVM,
This is "normal". I mean the car is entering in DPF regen mode, which increases consumption and iStop quit working until regen is completed (usually takes about 15-20 min) If this is happening often then you have the most common problem with DPF where nobody on Mazda dealership can help you out. The most common problem of often regens are Diesel Injectors, they are massively expensive to replace, and not always sort the problem, or sort it temporarily for several thousand km and then regen cycles ramp up again.
I had to battle this for 1.5 years and gave up and completely removed DPF (hardware and software) and problem solved for good. Although, note that this may be illegal in most EU countries.
I suggest you use Odometer trip counter "B" to reset it every time DPF Regen completes and this way you can figure out how often it happens.
The car, brand new from factory will regen every ~350 km. and this will quickly decay to about 100km or less.

P.S.
When you see your "engine" icon missing blue shadow and iStop says "NOT READY" this is where DPF is regenerating.
Also keep in mind that Mazda did implement the most retarded way of DPF regen system that is actively spray lots of diesel to regen the DPF and this is happening extremely often, thus leading to increased fuel consumption and annoyance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey SevenWM,
Unfortunately, even if you stop short trips, it will still enter in DPF regen mode at the same range. Even driving on a highway for really long it will still regen DPF when threshold is reached. You can measure how much km. you can drive between regens, and it really don't matter if it is short trips or highway.
P.S. I agree, it is a nice car and engine, BUT Japanese solution to DPF is the most tedious, idiotic, and stupid solution that completely ruin the car (of course if you delete DPF it turns it into nice car again) :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yonef,

Do you have any tutorial to recommend? If I remove DFP, I will not be able to pass the technical control anymore, right? May if I disable I-STOP it could be solve the problem?

Tanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you disable i-Stop will only make your car not shutting off engine while staying on traffic lights, BUT it will not change that increased consumption when DPF is regenerated. In matter of fact your i-Stop is not the problem, it is disabled temporarily by the car computer until DPF is being regenerated. If you disable it, car will keep regenerating DFP all the time. I recommend you not temper with it.
On the other hand, DPF can be removed BUT it may fail on technical inspection (MOT, or whatever it is called in France) I'm really not aware of the rules there (you can probably research, ask, someone that may know how that is being regulated in France) I'm living in Bulgaria so here is not a problem to remove DPF and pass technical inspection as they don't look for it.

One thing is for sure, there is no solution to often DPF regens yet, either you remove it or you just accept the way it works. (or you sell the car and never buy diesel Mazda again)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts