2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice when pressing the ON switch twice to turn on the ignition (engine not running) that the following warning lights stay on (see photo):

• i-Stop (amber)
  • Power steering (amber)
  • Check engine (amber)
  • Charging (red)

I expect this is normal? Would someone please confirm. There are no warning lights when the engine is running and no problems shown in the vehicle status menu.

Attachments

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
Agreed- I suppose it's just a Mazda quirk.

Fun fact: they also light up like a Christmas tree if you manually move your car/let it roll while in Neutral with the Engine off, lol.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed- I suppose it's just a Mazda quirk.

Fun fact: they also light up like a Christmas tree if you manually move your car/let it roll while in Neutral with the Engine off, lol.
Thanks - I might have wondered what's going on if I eventually discovered this. I wonder why that happens?

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
Thanks - I might have wondered what's going on if I eventually discovered this. I wonder why that happens?
Not fully sure why- I theorize that the Power Steering requires the engine to be on to work, and maybe the other lights/systems represented are voltage sensitive and freak out when they only detect the regular 12.x volts without the car running.

I bet that the engine being off with the car in that mode "tricks" the Computer into giving false positives for those engine and component codes.

These cars also display several lights and act funny when the battery is just about dead or has a bad connection on the cables. :confused013:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not fully sure why- I theorize that the Power Steering requires the engine to be on to work, and maybe the other lights/systems represented are voltage sensitive and freak out when they only detect the regular 12.x volts without the car running.

I bet that the engine being off with the car in that mode "tricks" the Computer into giving false positives for those engine and component codes.

These cars also display several lights and act funny when the battery is just about dead or has a bad connection on the cables. :confused013:
I once had Mercedes hire car at work (free upgrade) whose warning lights lit up like a Xmas tree but wouldn't turn over due to a flat battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts