2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first time posting so sorry if its in the wrong place, but i need help! i have a 2010 mazda 3i GT automatic with 38,000 miles on it. since about 18,000 miles or so, ive heard a squealing sound just before the car shifts up a gear, but its only when its between 1500 and 2000 rpms. if im being aggressive with the gas pedal, i dont notice it. i can also hear it, but just barely, just before it downshifts. i used to think it was from going up and down hills, and then maybe because the car is trying to be efficient and likes to stay in 5th gear when going up a hill at 35 mph. but i dont know anymore and im pretty sure my mechanic has given up on it. i take it to a Mazda dealership every time to get it serviced. his first thought was the belt, so he replaced that, and it was fine for about 500 miles and then it started up again. since then ive had the a/c compressor clutch and the belt tensioner replaced. along with a new belt each time. but its still making this noise. so far everything has been covered under warranty, but im worried that its going to cause something to break after my warranty is up. does anyone know anything about this squealing noise? has anyone else had this issue? please help because even my mechanic doesnt know whats going on

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Haven't heard of anyone else having this issue. Belt tensioner pulley maybe? Hope it gets resolved. If not tell your dealer you'll take a speed as even trade and deal with that squealing...of the tires that is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
More clues needed maybe??? - I was just listening to car Talk Our Show | Car Talk

The 1 clue that I keep thinking about is the fact it went away for 500 miles when the 1st belt was changed.

So leads me to believe the squeal is from that belt.

Im assuming he changed the belt tensioner "spring" and pulley assembly.

What other accessories are on that belt?

Take notes when you drive - More or less squeal with

AC on or off

All Electrical On or Off - Turn on all lights - defroster - wipers

try to recreate the squeal while stopped - Parking brake on - Holding the brake - Put in gear - see if you can make the noise. If you can, have the mechanic use a stethoscope or a hose will do .

Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry to hear about this. Haven't heard of anyone else having this issue. Belt tensioner pulley maybe? Hope it gets resolved. If not tell your dealer you'll take a speed as even trade and deal with that squealing...of the tires that is.
i would love a speed but i didnt have the money at the time to get one

More clues needed maybe??? - I was just listening to car Talk Our Show | Car Talk

The 1 clue that I keep thinking about is the fact it went away for 500 miles when the 1st belt was changed.

So leads me to believe the squeal is from that belt.

Im assuming he changed the belt tensioner "spring" and pulley assembly.

What other accessories are on that belt?

Take notes when you drive - More or less squeal with

AC on or off

All Electrical On or Off - Turn on all lights - defroster - wipers

try to recreate the squeal while stopped - Parking brake on - Holding the brake - Put in gear - see if you can make the noise. If you can, have the mechanic use a stethoscope or a hose will do .

Good Luck
my mechanic said he replaced the belt tensioner pully. mainly because there was another guy with the same squealing noise and the spring inside the belt tensioner was broken? something of the sort. but im waiting for him to order another belt along with an a/c belt, which is something he has not tried replacing yet.

i have taken notes, its been doing it for over 20k miles so ive had time to figure out if it does it more or less when certain things are on....and nothing changes it. doesnt matter if its hot or cold, wet or dry, a/c on or off, radio on or off, wipers, etc. i am able to make it do it if i want to and keep the sound going steady. but i dont! haha so ive been driving it in manual mode and i dont ever hear it, most likely because i shift it between 2k and 3k rpms whereas the car shifts at like 1500.

i'll report back when i get the a/c belt put on and see how that works.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i would love a speed but i didnt have the money at the time to get one

my mechanic said he replaced the belt tensioner pully. mainly because there was another guy with the same squealing noise and the spring inside the belt tensioner was broken? something of the sort. but im waiting for him to order another belt along with an a/c belt, which is something he has not tried replacing yet.

i have taken notes, its been doing it for over 20k miles so ive had time to figure out if it does it more or less when certain things are on....and nothing changes it. doesnt matter if its hot or cold, wet or dry, a/c on or off, radio on or off, wipers, etc. i am able to make it do it if i want to and keep the sound going steady. but i dont! haha so ive been driving it in manual mode and i dont ever hear it, most likely because i shift it between 2k and 3k rpms whereas the car shifts at like 1500.

i'll report back when i get the a/c belt put on and see how that works.
Did you ever find the solution to this issue? I'm having the same squealing sound. I had the tensioner pulley and the belts replaced when I got the car. The belts seemed to cure the noise last winter, but now that it is getting cold again I'm having issues again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts