2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a 2010 Mazda 3iTouring that I bought about 10k miles ago and in the last 3k miles it has started making a squealing sound while driving, especially while under light/normal acceleration. At first I thought it was the serpentine belt but I couldn't find any problems with it and neither could the shop, they told me the belt, pulleys and tensioner were all in good shape. I have now come to think that it could possibly be the clutch...is that possible in an A/T? I noticed that it seems to happen mostly between 1500-2000 RPM while accelerating or sometimes just while driving. I'm about 30 miles from the Mazda dealer so I haven't taken it there yet but plan to next week.

Anybody got any suggestions I could make to the mechanic?
Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks

·
Nordschleife
64 Posts
Ive come to realize that this car makes all sorts of funky noises. Like you mentioned, the clutch chatters sometimes when the engine is at idle and I know it's the clutch because the noise goes away when I step on it. But no, I don't think your automatic can make the noise since you don't have a clutch. Could it be one of the pumps? Or is that electric? I don't know.... But it'll drive you mad if you try to figure out every single noise the car is making. :tongue:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Some other options might be the accessories that are powerd from the belt. Maybe the waterpump, A/C compressor, or alternator aren't spinning like they should, which causes the belt to slip and cause the noise.

In a previous car I had the water pump start to go and it was causing a chirping noise. I did the same diagnostics you did, and it wasn't until the pump started to leak slowly that anyone realized it was the culprit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ive come to realize that this car makes all sorts of funky noises. Like you mentioned, the clutch chatters sometimes when the engine is at idle and I know it's the clutch because the noise goes away when I step on it. But no, I don't think your automatic can make the noise since you don't have a clutch. Could it be one of the pumps? Or is that electric? I don't know.... But it'll drive you mad if you try to figure out every single noise the car is making. :tongue:
That noise you speak of is the throwout.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i think my car might have the same noise lol just noticed it yesterday, had an oil change so i asked the dealer to check the belt, they said the belt was fine and they couldn't figure out whats making that noise... so i guess im just gonna wait till something breaks lol im still under warranty :3 2011 mazda 3 itouring :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
9 times out of 10 a squealing issue like that is the serpentine belt or tensioner. See what the Mazda dealer says and get a second opinion. Or just try driving it around for awhile longer and it may fix itself. Most belt tensioners on newer cars are self adjusting.

·
Making People Mad
832 Posts
it's your supercharger

·
Making People Mad
832 Posts

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Damn I'd be scratching my head if I didn't hear it!
:tongue: hahaha. Okay I don't want to move this thread off-topic. But, like adam said, usually most squealling in the engine area is almost every time a belt. But, your car is a little young to being having such problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guy's, thank you for all the suggestions. I was surprised to hear the tech at the oil change shop tell me it wasn't the serpentine belt. I hadn't considered the water pump but that is a good thought and good reason that I need to get it to the shop ASAP. I have about 52k miles on it so I have about 8k miles left on power train warranty so i have a bit of time but not much.

It sure does seem related to engine speed and load. It is not constant and I cannot get it to squeal while in park or neutral.

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Its very simple.

Its the timing chain, running with thin oil it will give you the faint squeal.

Run 5w-30 next time. 0w-20 is too thin IMHO, screw OEM recommendation. One size doesnt fit all, you make your car fit your liking.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Guy's, thank you for all the suggestions. I was surprised to hear the tech at the oil change shop tell me it wasn't the serpentine belt. I hadn't considered the water pump but that is a good thought and good reason that I need to get it to the shop ASAP. I have about 52k miles on it so I have about 8k miles left on power train warranty so i have a bit of time but not much.

It sure does seem related to engine speed and load. It is not constant and I cannot get it to squeal while in park or neutral.
Did you say oil change shop? You were going off their recomendation? I'm not sure what that shop is like, but around here they hire all the high school kids. They are good, and pretty quick at basics like oil changes and tire rotations, but they aren't trained mechanics. Take it to a trusted mechanic and have them give it a good look.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did you say oil change shop? You were going off their recomendation? I'm not sure what that shop is like, but around here they hire all the high school kids. They are good, and pretty quick at basics like oil changes and tire rotations, but they aren't trained mechanics. Take it to a trusted mechanic and have them give it a good look.
Definitely a good point. No offense to the "oil change technicians" out there but most lubbies aren't qualified to diagnose car issues and it's not their job. They get paid minimum wage and/or by the oil change and all he probably cared about was getting your car off the lift so he can get to the next guy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha, I knew somebody would make a comment about that! I honestly was pretty confident that it was the belt so I expected them to be able to diagnose but...now I'm not so sure. I will get it to a Mazda dealership soon but honestly...aren't most of their guys just barely out of HS too? Probably one certified mechanic that is supposed to be "running the show."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mechanic

Ok, well it cost me $70 to get the car diagnosed but at least now I know. The Mazda stealership told me it was in fact the serpentine belt that was making the squealing. They also told me that the belt had no frays or cracks and looked to be in good condition but the squealing may be due to it being a little dry. The tech put some belt dressing on it and when I drove it home it stopped squealing. The next day I found that it is back to squealing...but it sounds a little different now.

A squealing belt feels very "ghetto" to me so I really want to get it fixed. Mazda quoted me $220 to fix it and an oil change shop quoted me $150 to fix it. I remember reading on here once before that replacing the belt can be a little tricky because the a/c belt must also be removed and replaced.

Can anybody comment on whether I could easily enough replace the belt myself or if I should pay them to do it? Any guides to doing it on here? I *have* replaced a serpentine belt on a car before but not on a Mazda and not on a car that has the belt on the side like this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok, well it cost me $70 to get the car diagnosed but at least now I know. The Mazda stealership told me it was in fact the serpentine belt that was making the squealing. They also told me that the belt had no frays or cracks and looked to be in good condition but the squealing may be due to it being a little dry. The tech put some belt dressing on it and when I drove it home it stopped squealing. The next day I found that it is back to squealing...but it sounds a little different now.

A squealing belt feels very "ghetto" to me so I really want to get it fixed. Mazda quoted me $220 to fix it and an oil change shop quoted me $150 to fix it. I remember reading on here once before that replacing the belt can be a little tricky because the a/c belt must also be removed and replaced.

Can anybody comment on whether I could easily enough replace the belt myself or if I should pay them to do it? Any guides to doing it on here? I *have* replaced a serpentine belt on a car before but not on a Mazda and not on a car that has the belt on the side like this.
Did you find that the belts fixed the issue? I'm having this problem, and it is really annoying. I have had the belt tensioner and the belts replaced. Replacing the belts fixed this issue for a last winter but as it is getting cold again now the squealing is back. Always when cruising at 1,500-2,000 RPM. It is super annoying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you find that the belts fixed the issue? I'm having this problem, and it is really annoying. I have had the belt tensioner and the belts replaced. Replacing the belts fixed this issue for a last winter but as it is getting cold again now the squealing is back. Always when cruising at 1,500-2,000 RPM. It is super annoying.
I never put a new belt on it. When it warmed up last year it stopped squealing. It is getting colder here now and the squealing is back! I hate it!!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
The belt is super easy to replace but u will need to do the a/c belt at the same time... the mainbelt wont come ofd untill the a/c belt it removed!

all u have to do is cut the old a/c belt , remove the main Belt put on the new belt and a/c belt ( use a wrench to push the tensioner back to remove the main belt... ) the a/c belt is tricky either slowly work it on to the wheel by turning it with a wrench or get a tool to do it for you....

Super easy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The belt is super easy to replace but u will need to do the a/c belt at the same time... the mainbelt wont come ofd untill the a/c belt it removed!

all u have to do is cut the old a/c belt , remove the main Belt put on the new belt and a/c belt ( use a wrench to push the tensioner back to remove the main belt... ) the a/c belt is tricky either slowly work it on to the wheel by turning it with a wrench or get a tool to do it for you....

Super easy
My belt looks fine, it just squeals a little during cold weather. Why replace it? Sounds like it might not help anyway. I've learned to just accept it...although I would prefer it didn't squeal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts