2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These fogs are made in China and the quality, fit and finish SUCKS!

First off, the fog housing is NOT aluminum, it's plastic, unlike the OEM which have an aluminum housing.

The plastic housing cover does NOT fit properly and leaves a huge gap on the bottom and does not snap into place.

[/URL][/IMG]

The instructions are NON-EXISTENT. No instructions except for some hand drawn Chinese electrical schematics.

The aftermarket ON/OFF button is a joke and the wiring is way too complicated. The OEM stalk is the way to go since the wiring is there from the factory and it's just plug & play with the OEM stalk.

[/URL][/IMG]

I installed an LED bulb which does fit in the housing.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Probably made by the same people as the spyder lights. I always planned on getting an OEM stalk as that made the most sense since OE stalk is so cheap. Sucks that fit is bad aftermarket fit is usually good as far as lighting is concerned. I think I'll still take a run at these since cost is relatively low. I don't mind staying with the no fog light look if I can't make it work to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To add injury to insult, CARid is giving me a hard time about getting a refund. They want all these photos taken of the lights installed, photos of the original box, and about 4 other ridiculous requests before they might even consider offering a refund. What a joke. :argh 1:

Last time I order from them. They send a defected product and then give you the run around when you want to get a refund.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently bought and purchased this kit.. no complaints at all..

The plastic housing fits well, not as well as the OEM but it clicks in and would never fall out (you can use adhesive if youre worried).

The reason there is a gap between the glass housing and the plastic housing is because the angle of the light can be ADJUSTED up or down, I believe that gap is in the OEM kit as well.

For what I paid for it, I am more than happy. Buy the OEM stalk and this kit will work as well as the OEM kit, I got the yellow glass, which looks awesome and the light is nice and bright yellow.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The OEM fogs do not have such a large gap like the Spyder kit does. As with any aftermarket, they did not use very good tooling and QC is lacking.

They work because there is not much that could go wrong since the factory installed the wiring and it's basically plug and play once you have the OEM stalk.

The fogs do help light up the road because without the deflector as found in the OEM fogs, the light is more projected down the road, especially with LEDs. I had to aim the fogs down more to prevent from throwing too much light onto oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Would that gap cause water to get in? Do the oem fogs have a gap at all??

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would that gap cause water to get in? Do the oem fogs have a gap at all??
Yes, water will get in, a lot of water when driving down the road.

The OEM does NOT have this huge gap. It's because aftermarket junk like this has poor fit and finish issues.

I had to come up with a solution and I sealed the gap closed using EPDM weatherstripping. I will post photos of it here shortly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok. I ordered one and hoping that quality is good. It's hit or miss with aftermarket sometimes. Worst case is it's bad and I return it. Auto accessories.com has been good with returns in my experience. I would like to see that gap pic and your solution.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I installed the spyder foglights and I think it's actually pretty good except for the gap between the housing and cover. I'm gonna tilt the housing down later and that may reduce the gap. Where do you get the EPDM weatherstrip and what size and dimensions?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here is the gap

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sealed the gap using standard peel & stick rubber weatherstripping they sell at auto and home repair stores:

[/URL][/IMG]

I had to run screws through the sides of the housing because the Spyder fog light covers don't fit right (as we already know) and they started to get loose on me after a highway trip. Fearing that the covers would fall off I ran 2 screws. Up close it doesn't look great but from a distance nobody would see them. That's what you get with aftermarket:

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently bought and purchased this kit.. no complaints at all..

The plastic housing fits well, not as well as the OEM but it clicks in and would never fall out (you can use adhesive if youre worried).

The reason there is a gap between the glass housing and the plastic housing is because the angle of the light can be ADJUSTED up or down, I believe that gap is in the OEM kit as well.

For what I paid for it, I am more than happy. Buy the OEM stalk and this kit will work as well as the OEM kit, I got the yellow glass, which looks awesome and the light is nice and bright yellow.
Hey just recently installed these fog lights and read this. I also have the problem with the gap

How do you adjust the angle of the light?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spyder f/light install question

I am brand new to this forum and recently purchased a Mazda 3 with out foglights. I too have purchased the SPyder kit but have not received it yet. I see that some of you are saying to use the OEM stalk? Can anyone explain that to me and IF there is a way to use the factory harness (that I am almost certain is already installed in the car) to install the foglights?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought what is probably this kit off amazon and just installed it tonight. It went on and works perfectly. The housing is plastic yes, big whoop. There is a gap between housing and bulb assembly, big whoop. The light itself is sealed. If you think that ridiculous weatherstripping you put on is gonna stop water, you're misled. This kit works perfectly. I got the oem stalk which saves lots of unnecessary running of wires and the switch that comes with it. Just remove the two screws on the steering column and pop out the old stalk. No they don't say Mazda on them anywhere, but for $65 on Amazon, it's the intelligent buy for earlier 2014 I touring models that didn't come with fogs. One last thing, the bezels snap solidly into place when installed correctly. There is no need to run screws into your bumper to mount these. Did you really do that?��
Just wanted to give an honest opinion of the non Mazda overpriced fogs. This generic kit works just fine. Someone said the oem fog bezel is aluminum, gonna need to verify that myself. Hard to believe as it isn't necessary.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts